[NatureNS] re swift youngsters and late dates for N.S.

From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 17:28:17 -0300
Cc: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>,
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

--Apple-Mail=_5391456A-F4FA-4899-A5BC-E834A4965E57

James and all, I too was puzzled by some of the info=92 and writing in =
that Herald article, which never stated how those three nestlings were =
obtained by the vet clinic in New Glasgow.  I can testify that back when =
we had a lot more swifts, two decades ago or earlier, in Wolfville we =
used to still have small numbers roosting in early to mid September.  =
=46rom nest records from Bernard Forsythe in hollow trees in Black River =
and Lumsden Reservoirs, we know that young swifts can still be at the =
nest-sites at the end of August; thus it makes sense that even later =
ends of nesting could be possible.  Thus, currently we are still in that =
window of opportunity to let people know that the folks who are trying =
to help the endangered swifts want to know more about their nesting =
habitats, especially in chimneys in towns.  The noisiness of the =
swiftlings should let people know if they do have a nesting going on, =
and I wonder what to conclude about our lack of into=92 on this in =
Wolfville, where so many people are familiar with the species.  Cheers =
from Jim in Wolfville.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Swift nests
> Date: August 14, 2014 at 12:25:52 PM ADT
> To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
>=20
> hi folks,=20
>=20
> Just some thoughts re: the Herald and New Glasgow articles on the =
re-habbed 'Swiftlings'. Local experts please chi(r)p in and correct any =
misinformation.
>=20
> Are NS Chimney Swifts 'gone from the province by mid August'?=20
> - the breeding period for Swifts in the Maritimes is May-Sept (via =
BSC)
> - there are currently still active nests in the province (some known =
and many unknown)
> - although counts at the major roosts suggest that drops in numbers =
seem to occur throughout August, in many years birds are sticking around =
until early September (late nesters like this?)
> - in "All the Birds of Nova Scotia" Ian states, "most leave by =
mid-September"
>=20
> Neither the Herald nor New Glasgow article mentions that Chimney Swift =
young discovered in August do not necessarily need our help if found. =
Just suggesting it would be unfortunate for the meme to be promoted that =
August Swiftlings are unusual and need to be helped if found. =
('rescuing' is a different discussion!)
>=20
> (to clarify, I'm not arguing that these New Glasgow Swifts should not =
have been helped in some way by Cobequid; just that Swifts are likely =
not gone from NS by mid-August, and August Swiftlings are perhaps not =
unusual. In the spirit of discussion, happy to hear arguments otherwise =
that bring us closest to the true story for NS).=20
<dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:
> Dear All,                            Aug 14, 2014
>    I notice in yesterday's Chron. Hrld. article (Swifts perk up after =
Cobequid centre care) that "The swifts usually leave the small nest =
attached to the inside of a chimney at dawn..." which lays the =
groundwork for a host of further explanations such as-- but sometimes =
remove it then if the early market for false bird's nest soup is =
trending upward.  -- and arrange to have it removed later in the day =
when it is not so darn dark in there.  --  and sometimes just leave it =
there and move on; provided they can find some safe place where they can =
abandon the kids.
>=20
>=20
> Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> James Churchill
> Kentville, Nova Scotia
> jameslchurchill@gmail.com
> (902) 681-2374
>=20
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_5391456A-F4FA-4899-A5BC-E834A4965E57

charset=3Dwindows-1252"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">James =
and all, I too was puzzled by some of the info=92 and writing in that =
Herald article, which never stated how those three nestlings were =
obtained by the vet clinic in New Glasgow. &nbsp;I can testify that back =
when we had a lot more swifts, two decades ago or earlier, in Wolfville =
we used to still have small numbers roosting in early to mid September. =
&nbsp;=46rom nest records from Bernard Forsythe in hollow trees in Black =
River and Lumsden Reservoirs, we know that young swifts can still be at =
the nest-sites at the end of August; thus it makes sense that even later =
ends of nesting could be possible. &nbsp;Thus, currently we are still in =
that window of opportunity to let people know that the folks who are =
trying to help the endangered swifts want to know more about their =
nesting habitats, especially in chimneys in towns. &nbsp;The noisiness =
of the swiftlings should let people know if they do have a nesting going =
on, and I wonder what to conclude about our lack of into=92 on this in =
Wolfville, where so many people are familiar with the species. =
message:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px;"><span =
style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; color:rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.0);"><b>From: =
&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:jameslchurchill@gmail.com">jameslchurchill@gmail.com</a>&gt=
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px;"><span =
style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; color:rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.0);"><b>Subject: =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px;"><span =
style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; color:rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.0);"><b>Date: =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px;"><span =
style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; color:rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.0);"><b>To: =