[NatureNS] Neolithic stone rings etc.

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 15:37:25 +0000

Hi Jane: That could work crudely, then bisecting the resulting segments (easy with a 2-peg rope compass) nicely gets you to the suggested 12 segments.  Having constructed the circle with their rawhide or rope compass, the builders presumably would start at one point on the perimeter and measure off 5 equal length radius units in succession, easy.  The problem is that this leaves the 6th segment too long (6*r/2*Pi*r  = 3/Pi = only 0.955, not 1.0 -- the last segment would be ~4.7% too long, or 4.7 feet for a 100 foot radius circle).  Human vision for comparing line lengths is good to about 1% (meaning that differences less than 1% can't be detected reliably, but those greater than 1% can be), so it would be immediately apparent to the builders that they had screwed up.  It depends upon the accuracy required: Thom apparently claimed a variance of fractions of a millimeter in establishing his megalithic yard of 2.72 feet, so a 4.7% error would not work at all for him -- but this claimed precision seems wildly improbable, and has been widely disputed.
My guess is that if you had 2 pegs placed at two right angle points on the constructed circle, easily done, you could guess fairly accurately where to put two more pegs on the perimeter to trisect that quadrant.  Using a ruler (maybe a knotted rope), you could adjust the position of the last two pegs a bit to give equal lengths to any required degree of accuracy, perhaps satisfactorily by eye within 3-4 successive approximations.  The problem seems to be that I thought that this was supposed to be done by pure geometry and measurement based on a megalithic yard, not by trial and error. I'm not sure if there is any evidence that neolithic cultures used knotted ropes for measurement either, though others elsewhere apparently did.

The supposed connection between the megalithic yard and astronomical measurements suggested to have been used to derive it is treated at some length in Wikipedia under 'Pseudoscientific metrology'.   A nice read if you like fantasy.
Steve