[NatureNS] Enormous Flocks of Peeps at Evangeline Beach and off Boot Island

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 12:22:56 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01CFBBA8.4E89D770

I made my last trip to Evangeline Beach August 6 and it was a good one. =
I saw the largest flocks of peeps I've ever seen here, indeed anywhere. =
There were several groups that streamed forth both in front of and =
behind Boot Island varying between 200-400 metres in length and 20-50 =
metres in height with an unknown width but they were probably as wide as =
they were high. With densities varying between .5 to 4 birds per cubic =
metre the flock sizes are 100,000++ each. The dimensions of the flocks =
are easily determined using the camera frame as a measuring tool =
providing you know the distance to the flock. This distance was measured =
off a map.

I used my usual strategy of arriving 1-1/2 hours before high tide and =
sitting in a beach chair with my camera tripod mounted and at eyeball =
level. The fishers appreciated what I was doing and gave me space. Only =
a few dozen birds landed on the beach mostly in front of me as the =
fishers were casting, reeling and baiting which kept the birds to my end =
of the beach.

Photos are in my blog.

Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com
http://www.hanstoom.com/blog

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01CFBBA8.4E89D770

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<P><FONT size=3D2><FONT face=3DArial><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: verdana,geneva,tahoma,sans-serif"><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px">I made my last trip to Evangeline Beach August =
6 and it=20
was a good one. I saw the largest flocks of peeps I've ever seen here, =
indeed=20
anywhere. There were several groups that streamed forth both in front of =
and=20
behind Boot Island varying between 200-400 metres in length and 20-50 =
metres in=20
height</SPAN></SPAN> <SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: verdana,geneva,tahoma,sans-serif">with an unknown =
width but=20
they were probably as wide as they were high. With densities varying =
between .5=20
to 4 birds per cubic metre the flock sizes are 100,000++=20
each</SPAN></SPAN>.<SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: verdana,geneva,tahoma,sans-serif"> The dimensions =
of the=20
flocks are easily determined using the camera frame as a measuring tool=20
providing you know the distance to the flock. This distance was measured =
off a=20
map.</SPAN></SPAN></FONT></FONT></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: verdana,geneva,tahoma,sans-serif">I used my usual =
strategy=20
of arriving 1-1/2 hours before high tide and sitting in a beach chair =
with my=20
camera tripod mounted and at eyeball level. The fishers appreciated what =
I was=20
doing and gave me space. Only a few dozen birds landed on the beach =
mostly in=20
front of me as the fishers were casting, reeling and baiting which kept =
the=20
birds to my end of the beach.</SPAN></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16px"><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: verdana,geneva,tahoma,sans-serif">Photos are in my =

blog.</SPAN></SPAN></P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2=20
________<BR>Hans=20
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.hanstoom.com">http://www.hanstoom.com</A><BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.hanstoom.com/blog">http://www.hanstoom.com/blog</A><BR=