[NatureNS] Neolithic stone rings - encore.

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 18:48:28 +0000

&gt;&gt;    The hexagon must have been noticed even befor
Hi Eleanor,
Many years ago I recall reading that the neolithic denizens of Skara Brae used to cache the bones of their forebears in an ossuary, on stone ledges somewhere in their dwellings.  One of the memorable findings was that experts analyzed these bones as to time of death, revealing that practically nobody at Skara Brae had lived beyond the age of 30, apparently testifying to the hard life there.   I couldn't find any mention of this latterly, searching a couple of recent sources e.g. Wikipedia.  Did you come across any such information when you were there:  is it still believed that they had nearly all died by an age that we would consider a very young?  I'm not sure that this is reflected in other early societies -- not the contemporary Egyptians, I think, who however were presumably much better fed.

Hi Dave:  Maybe this flogging a dead horse, but I think you have it backwards.   In fact I suggested that the neolithic farmers could well have 'solved' what would later be called the "inscribed regular hexagon conjecture" by a simple practical-knowledge construction procedure of the sort that you advocate, without any foundation in theoretical geometry that would not arrive until much later, usually associated with the Greeks.   At the same time, it's not clear why stone circle-makers would have been sequentially pegging out the boundary of a large circle by trial and error to make any such discovery (if that's how they did it), if they didn't have some informal geometrical insight in the first place.  But I doubt that they could get that simply from looking at snowflakes, without a magnifying glass and ruler, though we did see plenty of snowflakes when we lived in Scotland.
Steve