[NatureNS] Brood parasites

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 14:03:23 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1134ab00b22a03050290cdd6

Our own Black-billed Cuckoo normally builds its own nest, but will
sometimes brood parasitize other species.

They avoid wiping themselves out in the same way carnivores do...too many
carnivores, not enough prey, many carnivores starve, prey rebounds,
carnivores increase. This is a basic explanation...there's a lot to this.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 8 September 2014 13:49, Gerald <naturens@zdoit.airpost.net> wrote:

> I hope brood parasites is the correct term for birds that lay their eggs
> in the nest of a different species.
>
> Are there such parasitic bird species who can also build their own
> nests? How do they avoid becoming so successful that they wipe out the
> hosts and thereby themselves?
>
> --
> Gerald

--001a1134ab00b22a03050290cdd6

avoid wiping themselves out in the same way carnivores do...too many carniv=
ores, not enough prey, many carnivores starve, prey rebounds, carnivores in=
crease. This is a basic explanation...there&#39;s a lot to this.</div><div>=
of<br>Antigonish County, NS.</div>
=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:naturens@zdoit.airpost.net" target=3D"_blank=
gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-=
left:1ex">I hope brood parasites is the correct term for birds that lay the=
ir eggs<br>
in the nest of a different species.<br>
Are there such parasitic bird species who can also build their own<br>
nests? How do they avoid becoming so successful that they wipe out the<br>
hosts and thereby themselves?<br>
--<br>
Gerald<br>

--001a1134ab00b22a03050290cdd6--