[NatureNS] red headed woodpecker

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:31:15 -0300

I was quite pleased to see a juvenile Red Headed Woodpecker in my yard a
short time ago. Once I dug out the book and checked online I am confident to
say it was here. I don't have photos because  it flew up after an insect
(rather awkwardly) and then moved from the Maple to the Oak tree and with
the low sun behind it I lost track. I will keep eyes peeled and ears cocked
to see if I can hear it. I have seen the odd male adult but this is a first
that I knew what I was looking at. I was wondering if I saw a cuckoo or two
at Western head the other day but can't say for sure. There have been a few
more Painted Lady butterflies about.
We have plenty of Mourning Doves, some Chickadees, and Sparrows, mostly
song. Starlings are moving in and out, we had a visitation from about 12-13
Waxwings, there is a big Bald Eagle cruising regularly over head and we are
seeing strings of geese moving now. % or 6 the past couple days. longest had
20 some in it, rest have been shorter.
Have had visits from several peepers one of which was sitting on our storm
door window. I have a photo of that. It is very tiny. Also we have a few
small toads moving about the yard. So far I haven't seen any good sized
ones. Best regards

Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd.,
White Point, Queens Co.,