[NatureNS] Pleasant Hill Cemetery and Ebird

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 13:48:49 -0300

Hi Chris & All,
    This raises an interesting question; really a cluster of questions. But
in general terms, what factors collectively lead to increased activity of a
given bird species at a given site ?
     Food is no doubt a common attraction but why for example would one
small patch of Poplar (a south facing pocket valley, ~50' x 150', created by
gravel extraction three decades previously) nearly always have one or more
Ruffed grouse when they were very rarely seen in any nearby patches of
Poplar growing in undisturbed forest soil  or disturbed soil of woods road
edges ?
Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville