[NatureNS] Pleasant Hill Cemetery and Ebird

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 14:37:59 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e01493b9046e8cd050656e178

Hi,

David brings up some interesting points, and I also have some comments, if
people don't mind

 --  the Pleasant Hill Cemetery effect is partly what was described a few
years ago in the birding literature as the Patagonia Picnic Table Effect -
a rare bird is found in a particular location, lots of birders go to look
for it, and while combing through the bushes, turn up other rare birds, and
over time this builds upon itself. Other examples might include Sandy Cove
Rd., it may well be that other nearby local habitats are just as good, but
people don't go there as much.

-- It would be appropriate to look at a particular pice of habitat from a
bird's, rather than a human's point of view -- something we can't really
do. E.g. if we looked at David's small patch of poplar from treetop height,
with ultra-violet and 270 degree vision, as a Ruffed grouse might well do,
it may look completely different from the patch a few metres away, for
reasons we don't yet understand.

-- Chris's suggestion about combining personal locations and hotspots for
eBird is IMHO a good one. There are many other spots in NS to which this
could apply. An example might be the several different names for French
Basin Trail in Annapolis Royal, and if they were combined as 1 hotspot it
would give a better overall view of what birds have been seen there.
Perhaps those of us who use eBird could look at our other locations and
follow Chris's example. However, for larger, but "good" areas (e.g. Brier
Island) it might still be usefull to separate different hotspots within the
area (e.g. Northern Point, Pond Cove).

Anyway, some thoughts for a very wet afternoon.

Richard

--

> #################
Richard Stern,
Port Williams, NS, Canada
sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--089e01493b9046e8cd050656e178

ints, and I also have some comments, if people don&#39;t mind</div><div><br=
 was described a few years ago in the birding literature as the Patagonia P=
icnic Table Effect - a rare bird is found in a particular location, lots of=
 birders go to look for it, and while combing through the bushes, turn up o=
ther rare birds, and over time this builds upon itself. Other examples migh=
t include Sandy Cove Rd., it may well be that other nearby local habitats a=
om a bird&#39;s, rather than a human&#39;s point of view -- something we ca=
n&#39;t really do. E.g. if we looked at David&#39;s small patch of poplar f=
rom treetop height, with ultra-violet and 270 degree vision, as a Ruffed gr=
ouse might well do, it may look completely different from the patch a few m=
iv>-- Chris&#39;s suggestion about combining personal locations and hotspot=
s for eBird is IMHO a good one. There are many other spots in NS to which t=
his could apply. An example might be the several different names for French=
 Basin Trail in Annapolis Royal, and if they were combined as 1 hotspot it =
would give a better overall view of what birds have been seen there. Perhap=
s those of us who use eBird could look at our other locations and follow Ch=
ris&#39;s example. However, for larger, but &quot;good&quot; areas (e.g. Br=
ier Island) it might still be usefull to separate different hotspots within=
class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid=
;padding-left:1ex"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 =
.8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div class=3D"h5"><s=
, NS, Canada<br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank"=