[NatureNS] Foundation Plantings and The White-crowned Sparrow

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 14:40:08 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01CFF2BD.125AB930

When we had our Husky, we had a wire kennel and when it came time to =
remove the fencing, we unhappily destroyed a White Crowned Sparrow nest =
tucked very, very privately into the Silverlace Vine that covered a good =
part of the fencing. I had searched and searched to see if there was one =
there before we started to take it all down but alas it was tucked so =
tightly in there.=20
Marg Millard,White Point, Queens

When we moved into our home at Portuguese Cove in 2000 we established a =
flower garden and foundation plantings at the front of the house facing =
due east. This area enjoys the morning sun and full sun for most of the =
day. The flowers prospered as did the foundation plantings but alas the =
deer also liked the flora so we were compelled to put a four foot high =
page wire barrier fence around the area to keep the deer out.=20

The foundation plantings are juniper and dwarf Alberta spruce and are =
extremely dense now providing excellent cover for our White-throated and =
Song Sparrows. They sleep there all night safe and dry even during the =
worst nor-easters.

Well, the White-crowned Sparrow is no dummy so he has also moved in =
here. This is also a happy circumstance for me because I can feed the =
birds all winter just by dropping seed out of our row of three living =
room windows.
Hans Toom

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01CFF2BD.125AB930

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV><FONT style=3D"size: 2" face=3DArial>When we had our Husky, we had =
a wire=20
kennel and when it came time to remove the fencing, we unhappily =
destroyed a=20
White Crowned Sparrow nest tucked very, very privately into the =
Silverlace Vine=20
that covered a good part of the fencing. I had searched and searched to =
see if=20
there was one there before we started to take it all down but alas it =
was tucked=20
so tightly in there. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT style=3D"size: 2" face=3DArial>Marg Millard,White Point,=20
Queens</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT style=3D"size: 2" =
face=3DArial>............................</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT style=3D"size: 2" face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT style=3D"size: 2" face=3DArial>When we moved into our home at =
Portuguese=20
Cove in 2000 we established a flower garden and foundation plantings at =
the=20
front of the house facing due east. This area enjoys the morning sun and =
full=20
sun for most of the day. The flowers prospered as did the foundation =
plantings=20
but alas the deer also liked the flora so we were compelled to put a =
four foot=20
high page wire barrier fence around the area to keep the deer out. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT style=3D"size: 2" face=3DArial></FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New =
Roman"><FONT=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt"></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT style=3D"size: 2" face=3DArial>The foundation plantings are =
juniper and=20
dwarf Alberta spruce and are extremely dense now providing excellent =
cover for=20
our White-throated and Song Sparrows. They sleep there all night safe =
and dry=20
even during the worst nor-easters.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT style=3D"size: 2" face=3DArial></FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New =
Roman"><FONT=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt"></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT style=3D"size: 2" face=3DArial>Well, the White-crowned =
Sparrow is no=20
dummy so he has also moved in here. This is also a happy circumstance =
for me=20
because I can feed the birds all winter just by dropping seed out of our =
row of=20
three living room windows.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT style=3D"size: 2"=20
________<BR>Hans=20
Toom<BR></FONT></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01CFF2BD.125AB930--