[NatureNS] Purported SW NS Eastern Cougar Photo

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 13:21:13 -0400
From: Shouty McShoutsalot <desolatechair@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

al sightings on Vancouver Island while conducting sa
--047d7bd74a34c76d1d0507fd1612

Angela

Thanks for chasing it down.  A healthy skepticism (aka a well tuned BS
Detector) is certainly required dealing with all things interweb.

And yet... I know a few very credible witnesses, woods-wise and not given
to hyperbole, who have convinced me of their eyewitness accounts.
Certainly there are enough deer to go around.  And another top shelf
carnivore (the Eastern Coyote) has certainly been successful moving into
the area...

Regards

Jamie Simpson
Hantsport NS

--
Jamie Simpson
Hantsport, NS

--047d7bd74a34c76d1d0507fd1612

=A0 A healthy skepticism (aka a well tuned BS Detector) is certainly requir=
... I know a few very credible witnesses, woods-wise and not given to hyper=
bole, who have convinced me of their eyewitness accounts.=C2=A0 Certainly t=
here are enough deer to go around.=C2=A0 And another top shelf carnivore (t=
he Eastern Coyote) has certainly been successful moving into the area...</d=
s=3D"gmail_quote">On 16 November 2014 12:51, James Hirtle <span dir=3D"ltr"=
>&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jrhbirder@hotmail.com" target=3D"_blank">jrhbirder@h=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

.=C2=A0 Well maybe not that long, just about 29 or 30 years ago, there were=
 many sightings and reports of the Eastern Cougar in East LaHave.=C2=A0 Thi=
s was just after they clearcut straight across from Dayspring to the LaHave=
 River and razed the common land of the huge trees that existed there.=C2=
=A0 Also, the common land behind the mines road and around to what the loca=
ls called the Beaver Dam.=C2=A0=C2=A0So cougars were being seen close to ha=
bitation after this happened for a few years.=C2=A0 I&#39;ve not heard of a=
ny recent reports.=C2=A0 Around that time my brother had been out deer hunt=
ing and saw two cats rolling in the middle of the road with long tails.=C2=
=A0 The were cougar cubs and as he approached one ran to either side of the=
 road and up trees.=C2=A0 My brother then heard a growl and looked up to se=
e the mother in a tree above his head.=C2=A0 He made a quick retreat.=C2=A0=
 After that we found tracks in the yard outside of our recidence in East La=
Have.=C2=A0 Three inches across and the obvious cat tracks.=C2=A0 There wer=
e also tracks in Indian Path in the gravel pit there and headed up towards =
the common land between there and Riverport.=C2=A0 Which is now a public tr=
ail system.=C2=A0 I contacted DNR at the time and by the time a response ha=
ppened all signs of the cougar had been removed due to heavy rain.=C2=A0 I =
had tried to unsuccessfully make a plaster cast of one of the tracks prior =
to that.=C2=A0 I believe I did take a photo at the time though, but=C2=A0do=