[NatureNS] Graves Island Squirre;l

From: "Paul" <rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 19:44:54 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01D00755.F45B8EC0

Hi All
Today was such a nice day I went to Graves Island for a walk.
While passing a low white spruce =E2=80=93 almost a tuckamore it was.
There was a red squirrel in the branches and it was eating the=20
buds on the end of the branches.  I never thought squirrels would
eat something like that but perhaps spruce grouse do also.
I looked around and couldn=E2=80=99t see any cones on the spruce or pine =
trees,
it might be a hard winter for squirrels.
There was a good supply of  horned grebes around the shore.
One pair came up beside me. One still had the Golden horns on its
head. The rest of the plumage had moulted into winter wear, just
the top of the head left to go.
Enjoy the fall
Paul
------=_NextPart_000_0026_01D00755.F45B8EC0

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>Hi All</DIV>
<DIV>Today was such a nice day I went to Graves Island for a walk.</DIV>
<DIV>While passing a low white spruce =E2=80=93 almost a tuckamore it =
was.</DIV>
<DIV>There was a red squirrel in the branches and it was eating the =
</DIV>
<DIV>buds on the end of the branches.&nbsp; I never thought squirrels=20
would</DIV>
<DIV>eat something like that but perhaps spruce grouse do also.</DIV>
<DIV>I looked around and couldn=E2=80=99t see any cones on the spruce or =
pine=20
trees,</DIV>
<DIV>it might be a hard winter for squirrels.</DIV>
<DIV>There was a good supply of&nbsp; horned grebes around the =
shore.</DIV>
<DIV>One pair came up beside me. One still had the Golden horns on =
its</DIV>
<DIV>head. The rest of the plumage had moulted into winter wear, =
just</DIV>
<DIV>the top of the head left to go.</DIV>
<DIV>Enjoy the fall</DIV>
<DIV>Paul</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01D00755.F45B8EC0--