Long again: Re: Long: Re: [NatureNS] light

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:13:44 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_00C8_01D01BA6.C2D64DD0

Hi Patrick & All,
DIGRESSION
    Some may object that we are getting off topic. If so then I hope it =
will be possible to disagree in a civil manner. In my view, the =
activities of humans directly or indirectly affect the natural world to =
a much greater degree than all other factors combined; in round numbers =
our effective impact would be at least 100:1 and perhaps as great as =
1000:1. The central question is now and always will be; how can human =
activities at the local and the global level be modified in acceptable =
ways so as to decrease our impact on the natural world ?=20

    Nothing said on natureNS will directly reverse this massive and =
accellerating destruction but it might be possible to germinate ideas =
which would in time start to diminish human effects locally.
END OF DIGRESSION

    The LED is great for outdoor use; no question. And yes, outdoor =
lights which may be  on for appreciable periods, should be directional =
and aimed downward.=20

    The 90+% efficiency of oil heating may also be an illusion in many =
homes where heat will be directed to all parts of the house (usually =
near the exterior walls/windows where the heat gradient will be maximal) =
whether the rooms are occupied or not. Oil may be 90% efficient at the =
furnace but less efficient overall if rooms not occupied are heated. =
Conversely light bulbs, for the reasons you advanced and I had not =
previously taken this into account, may currently be only about 45% =
efficient in total (light + heat) in a given room but somewhat more =
efficient overall when the small heat supplied by lights in occupied =
rooms is such that oil is not required.   [So far this fall I have had =
the radiators on for a total of about 2 hours; largely a wood effect but =
lights likely decreased the need for wood initially.]=20

    The need to burn fossil fuels for power generation is man-made. It =
is a product of history, inertia and indifferent or inept management. =
And much of that waste heat of spent steam (not sure how much) can be =
salvaged by using it for space heating and water heating for nearby =
commercial or residental buildings, stored underground  for later use =
and used to heat nearby greenhouses.

    Wind and water could produce nearly all of our electricity if the =
will were there to do it. Because our governments have fumbled the wind =
generation ball it is a real mess; 26 different sets of standards for =
setback (if I recall correctly) in NS alone and these change at the whim =
of fear and rumor.=20

     One thorough study and analysis of turbine setbacks by e.g. the =
National Research Council (before it was made threadbare by 50 years of =
cutbacks), with ongoing refinements as turbine designs change, would =
have given all concerned, industry and homeowners, the guidance to move =
forward with confidence. And of course greatly simplified the approval =
process and reduced the cost of establishing wind farms. It still needs =
to be done.

    The wind does not blow all of the time but that is no problem =
provided sufficient wind energy were used to pump water to reservoirs at =
high elevation so hydroelectric generation could act as a backup during =
periods of calm. This approach has been used successfully at several =
locations for decades and we have ideal topography/geology. The same =
water could be recycled many times and doing so would provide backup =
irrigation water for agriculture and if done prudently would tend to =
improve streamflow stablilty.=20

    Solar energy and generation of power from waste are two additional =
approaches which are as yet barely tapped here. A recent newspaper =
article (2014 ?) featured generation of power from cow manure sufficient =
to supply all electrical needs on a fairly large farm with surplus to =
sell; at a profit sufficient to clear the investment in 10 (?) years =
with a by-product of use as a soil amendment and of course the bonus =
effect of decreasing release of methane. The same could likely be done =
with doggy do, human waste and perhaps even fermentable organic waste if =
waste disposal were adapted for this purpose.=20

   =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20