[NatureNS] short end to long again: re light

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 20:19:14 -0400

Hi Patrick & All,
    Those who slogged through to the end of my last e-mail will have noticed
that it didn't get finished.

    Based on figures issued by NS Power in 2007, power usage in the average
NS house  was 8316 kWh/year.  I estimated our power usage for lights to be
no more than 378 kWh/year or 4.5% of average total usage.

    Unless my estimate of usage for lights is way off then the entire debate
about energy saved by efficient indoor lights is much ado about very little.

   Returning to the broader topic of systems for generation of electrical
power, I have the impression that Scandinavian countries, Germany and
Switzerland are able generally to make wise decisions with respect to
complex systems involving industry, government responsibility, natural
resources and public interest.

    I wonder if they have an approach for recognition and solution of
problems that differs in some material way from ours.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville