Long again: Re: Long: Re: [NatureNS] light

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 20:43:44 +0000

&gt;&g
Hi Dave,
Not to prolong the agony, but according to the MacKay book I cited, the Dinorwig (Welsh) system operates at 74-75% efficiency, actually a bit better than the 64% you cite for Ludington.   The argument was/is not about whether pumped storage can work, but that even if there was the political/financial will to convert more lakes, there is not enough capacity available in suitable pairs of lakes in UK with decent height offsets to provide the potential energy required to store all the surplus energy needed that way, sufficient to buffer the fluctuation in demand -- the numbers are too large.   MacKay discusses the best potential lake pairs, for instance one using Loch Lomond in Scotland as the lower 'sink'.
In thinking about how to cope with this and store surplus electrical energy temporarily in some other way, one of MacKay's more fanciful ideas is that in the not too distant future we will be off the oil economy altogether and all be driving electric cars.   If you had 30 million such cars in Britain, the numbers say that there then would be enough battery capacity available to use them as night-time storage if they were all plugged into the grid to recharge, when both grid demand and the price of electricity is lower.
It's ~5 years old but an interesting book.
Steve