[NatureNS] =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fwd=3A_NORTHERN_LAPWING_=28Vanneau_Hupp=E9=29_at_St=2E_Martin?=

From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 13:09:55 -0400
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>

--001a11c29d46a81d65050ae53fe6

A heads up:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jim Wilson <jgw@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Subject: NORTHERN LAPWING (Vanneau Hupp=E9) at St. Martins Near Saint John
To: NATURENB@listserv.unb.ca

We've just learned that a beautiful NORTHERN LAPWING has been present for
about a week at a campground site in St. Martins, east of Saint John.

The bird has been feeding on lawns and short grass areas within the
campground, which is adjacent the beach and the salt marsh in the village,
at the end of Ocean Wave Drive. It appears to be in great condition and has
been observed pulling worms from the ground and pecking at other food as it
forages Killdeer-like, in the area.

This campground is owned by Mr. Byard Moran, who first saw the lapwing earl=
last week but didn't know what it was. The bird was shy when he tried to
approach it on foot and flew off, but he eventually took a photograph while
riding on his tractor. The photo was later identified by his friend Freda
Gordon of Saint John. Freda contacted me this morning and Jean, Joanne
Savage, Merv Cormier and I dropped everything and went out to see if the
bird was still present.

It was feeding in the same area when we met Mr. Moran and he kindly escorte=
us to it. We observed it from our vehicle and were able to take a nice
series of photos for documentation.

Mr. Moran is open to birders coming to see it, but asks that you please cal=
him in advance, as he has many trailers at the site that are being stored
for summer campers and he needs to know who is coming and going to the area=
.
His phone number is 506-833-4425. He also checks the campground regularly
and should be able to tell you if the bird is still present in the coming
days.

*********************

Directions:

Please call ahead and speak with Mr. Moran at 506-833-4425. Driving along
the main street of the Village of St. Martins look for the only Irving
Service Station on your right, about halfway through the village. Just
before, and adjacent, is Ocean Wave Drive. The campground is at the end of
Ocean Wave Drive. When we arrived, the lapwing was foraging on lawns down
the first left roadway you encounter, but it could move around.

My suggestion is that you STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE to observe it, if possible,
based on Mr. Moran's and our experience. That should lessen the changes of
disturbing it and improve your views and chances for pictures. It may be
necessary to go in on foot if Mr. Moran has the gate closed, but you should
discuss this with him beforehand. If you have to go on foot, please be
mindful of the bird's welfare and the desire of others to see it, and try t=
remain at a respectful distance. A scope would be very helpful in this
instance.

Northern Lapwing is a Eurasian plover that reaches North America only
accidently. There was a major flight that reached NB in the fall/winter of
1927-28, another in early winter of 1966, and there was a spring/summer
record of one near Aulac in 1991. Last winter another flight brought
lapwings to several places in Atlantic Canada and the Eastern seaboard but
none were discovered in New Brunswick. Whether this lapwing is a survivor
from last year or a fresh arrival from the other side of the Atlantic can't
be known at the moment, but there could be others turn up elsewhere if this
represents a new flight.

Best of luck if you go for a look. It's interesting how occasionally great
birds come in threes - Long-billed Curlew, Barn Owl, Northern Lapwing......=
Wow!

Jim Wilson

NatureNB guidelines  http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbe.html
Foire aux questions de NatureNB  http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbf.html

--=20
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia
jameslchurchill@gmail.com
(902) 681-2374

--001a11c29d46a81d65050ae53fe6

----- Forwarded message ----------<br>From: <b class=3D"gmail_sendername">J=
im Wilson</b> <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jgw@nbnet.nb.ca">jgw@=
t: NORTHERN LAPWING (Vanneau Hupp=E9) at St. Martins Near Saint John<br>To:=
 NATURENB@listserv.unb.ca<b=
r><br><br>We&rsquo;ve just learned that a beautiful NORTHERN LAPWING has be=
en present for<br>
about a week at a campground site in St. Martins, east of Saint John.<br>
The bird has been feeding on lawns and short grass areas within the<br>
campground, which is adjacent the beach and the salt marsh in the village,<=
br>
at the end of Ocean Wave Drive. It appears to be in great condition and has=
been observed pulling worms from the ground and pecking at other food as it=
forages Killdeer-like, in the area.<br>
This campground is owned by Mr. Byard Moran, who first saw the lapwing earl=
y<br>
last week but didn&rsquo;t know what it was. The bird was shy when he tried=
 to<br>
approach it on foot and flew off, but he eventually took a photograph while=
riding on his tractor. The photo was later identified by his friend Freda<b=
r>
Gordon of Saint John. Freda contacted me this morning and Jean, Joanne<br>
Savage, Merv Cormier and I dropped everything and went out to see if the<br=

bird was still present.<br>
It was feeding in the same area when we met Mr. Moran and he kindly escorte=
d<br>
us to it. We observed it from our vehicle and were able to take a nice<br>
series of photos for documentation.<br>
Mr. Moran is open to birders coming to see it, but asks that you please cal=
l<br>
him in advance, as he has many trailers at the site that are being stored<b=
r>
for summer campers and he needs to know who is coming and going to the area=
.<br>
His phone number is <a href=3D"tel:506-833-4425" value=3D"+15068334425">506=
-833-4425</a>. He also checks the campground regularly<br>
and should be able to tell you if the bird is still present in the coming<b=
r>
days.<br>
*********************<br>
Directions:<br>
Please call ahead and speak with Mr. Moran at <a href=3D"tel:506-833-4425" =
value=3D"+15068334425">506-833-4425</a>. Driving along<br>
the main street of the Village of St. Martins look for the only Irving<br>
Service Station on your right, about halfway through the village. Just<br>
before, and adjacent, is Ocean Wave Drive. The campground is at the end of<=
br>
Ocean Wave Drive. When we arrived, the lapwing was foraging on lawns down<b=
r>
the first left roadway you encounter, but it could move around.<br>
My suggestion is that you STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE to observe it, if possible,<=
br>
based on Mr. Moran&rsquo;s and our experience. That should lessen the chang=
es of<br>
disturbing it and improve your views and chances for pictures. It may be<br=

necessary to go in on foot if Mr. Moran has the gate closed, but you should=
discuss this with him beforehand. If you have to go on foot, please be<br>
mindful of the bird&rsquo;s welfare and the desire of others to see it, and=
 try to<br>
remain at a respectful distance. A scope would be very helpful in this<br>
instance.<br>
Northern Lapwing is a Eurasian plover that reaches North America only<br>
accidently. There was a major flight that reached NB in the fall/winter of<=
br>
1927-28, another in early winter of 1966, and there was a spring/summer<br>
record of one near Aulac in 1991. Last winter another flight brought<br>
lapwings to several places in Atlantic Canada and the Eastern seaboard but<=
br>
none were discovered in New Brunswick. Whether this lapwing is a survivor<b=
r>
from last year or a fresh arrival from the other side of the Atlantic can&r=
squo;t<br>
be known at the moment, but there could be others turn up elsewhere if this=
represents a new flight.<br>
Best of luck if you go for a look. It&rsquo;s interesting how occasionally =
great<br>
birds come in threes &ndash; Long-billed Curlew, Barn Owl, Northern Lapwing=
&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;&hellip;.<br>
Wow!<br>
Jim Wilson<br>
NatureNB guidelines&nbsp; <a href=3D"http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbe.h=