[NatureNS] re Northern Flickers

Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2015 13:17:37 -0500
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Quoting Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>:

> Responding to Dave & Joanne (hi, Joanne): I?m pretty sure that our
> flickers, including the western ones, are still called Northern
> Flickers, the two Canadian species having been lumped into one long
> ago.

* there's no reason why the English name needs to correspond to the
species level in the Linnaen system - in this case you throw away
information about shaft colour by using "Northern Flicker." It would
be best to say Colaptes a. auritus, but the real names seem to be
avoided by birders for some reason.

fred.

> Most of them still sensibly migrate southward in winter.  But thanks
> to climate change and perhaps the birds getting tougher in
> withstanding wintry conditions, over the years more and more of them
> are either migrating not as far south, or are just lingering in one
> area for the whole year (we need marked or banded or transmitter
> birds to find out such things), so that our numbers of overwintering
> flickers have grown over the past 20 or more years.  They feed a lot
> on the ground in all seasons, apparently favouring ants when they
> can be gotten (or their pupae).
>
> Cheers and Happy New Year 2015 from Jim in Wolfville
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Joanne Cook <jocook.ns@gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] YS Flicker
>> Date: January 1, 2015 at 12:13:41 PM AST
>> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>>
>> We've had a flicker here (Maynard Lake, Dartmouth) for the past
>> month. It likes my home-made suet cake, and any sunflower seeds
>> w?hich have spilt on the deck.
>>
>> Sometimes it comes over, hangs on the screen of the patio door, and
>> peers into the kitchen.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Joanne (poking her nose out of long-time lurkdom)

           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
       Mudpuppy Night - http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
     study our books - http://pinicola.ca/books/index.htm
"[The] two fundamental steps of scientific thought - the conjecture
and refutation of Popper - have little place in the usual conception
of intelligence. If something is to be dismissed as inadequate, it is
surely not Darwin [, whose] works manifest the activity of a mind
seeking for wisdom, a value which conventional philosophy has largely
abandoned." Ghiselen, 1969. Triumph of the Darwinian Method, p 237.