[NatureNS] Raptor ID book question

Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 13:52:40 -0400
From: Bruce Stevens <m.bruce.stevens@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11334862504f70050beb5b29

Hi Lynn,

I own the first and last book you mention. Hawks From Every Angle (Liguori,
2005) is very photograph-heavy, with a proportionately small amount of
text. It features the most commonplace raptors in North America with
emphasis on identification based on shape, behaviour and plumage. Hawks in
Flight 2nd Ed. (Dunne, Sibley and Sutton, 2012) is more comprehensive, and
features both photographs and black and white drawings by Sibley. This
newer edition also features some rare birds of prey (from a North American
perspective). This mostly means southern vagrants that are seen in Florida
or Texas. Personally, I would give the edge to Hawks in Flight as it covers
more species in greater detail, but it is a bit denser. If you like reading
about the species covered, it is the hands down winner between the two
books. Hawks From Every Angle is still excellent, but is a bit narrower in
scope.

Hope this helps!

Bruce

Bruce Stevens
Owl and Marmot Wildlife Photography
Blog     --   http://owlandmarmot.ca
Gallery --   http://gallery.owlandmarmot.com
Flickr -- http://www.flickr.com/owlandmarmot
Dartmouth, NS

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Lynn Karchewski <dlkarchewski@live.com>
wrote:

> Hawks....
>
> In Flight?  At a Distance?  or From Every Angle?
>
> If you have a strong preference for one of these books over another, your
> comments would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lynn

--001a11334862504f70050beb5b29

you mention. Hawks From Every Angle (Liguori, 2005) is very photograph-heav=
y, with a proportionately small amount of text. It features the most common=
place raptors in North America with emphasis on identification based on sha=
pe, behaviour and plumage. Hawks in Flight 2nd Ed. (Dunne, Sibley and Sutto=
n, 2012) is more comprehensive, and features both photographs and black and=
 white drawings by Sibley. This newer edition also features some rare birds=
 of prey (from a North American perspective). This mostly means southern va=
grants that are seen in Florida or Texas. Personally, I would give the edge=
 to Hawks in Flight as it covers more species in greater detail, but it is =
a bit denser. If you like reading about the species covered, it is the hand=
s down winner between the two books. Hawks From Every Angle is still excell=
Stevens<br>Owl and Marmot Wildlife Photography<div>Blog =C2=A0 =C2=A0 -- =
=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://owlandmarmot.ca" target=3D"_blank">http://owlandma=
ickr -- <a href=3D"http://www.flickr.com/owlandmarmot" target=3D"_blank">ht=
wski <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dlkarchewski@live.com" target=
s=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;pad=
ding-left:1ex">

=A0 or From Every Angle?<br><br>If you have a strong preference for one of =
these books over another, your comments would be appreciated.<br><br>Thanks=

--001a11334862504f70050beb5b29--