[NatureNS] Fw: [Aliens-L] How well-intentioned Americans trying

Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 10:39:25 -0400
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

e=3D"text-decoration: underline;"&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span sty
Re. Swamp Milkweed abundant in some parts of NS
While there are some large patches of swamp milkweed in some areas, it
certainly is not common and is ranked S4 by Atlantic Canada
Conservation Data Centre. Around the City, it is absent from wild
areas. It comes into stillwater peatlands--fens--around Mount Uniacke,
it is patchy in similar riparian fen and rarely on lakeshores in the
southwest. It is common in marshes in the Musquodoboit and Stewiacke
and probably in many true marshes. I don't think of it as a swamp
species because it wouldn't do shade. Because it is patchy and locally
abundant, it stands to reason that planting it in the vicinities in
between the above areas would help to increase butterfly populations.
The common milkweed does well on roadsides and dry old fields. The
swamp milkweed will grow in its natural areas as well as in wet
meadows that may have been hay fields. It is a good garden plant if
the soils don't get too droughty (ie. would need to amend sandy soils
with lots of organic).
There are lots of other natives that will do for butterflies and MTRI
(Mersey Tobeatic Research Institute) has been championing this. Joe
Pye is a super native/garden plant and is great addition to the back
of flower borders. We need lots of observations by naturalists on
which plants attract which pollinators. Does anyone know any group
working in the maritimes who keeps track?
Nick