[NatureNS] Bayberry

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 22:40:49 +0000
References: <CABKUNXbCVJqmpsCcx1i9OipRSD4i=ej++2SmWihEtLO1-oD9_w@mail.gmail.com>,<BLU405-EAS21411FD3CAFD0104306E824B0300@phx.gbl>,<475F5C977B994F428AF18E7556021237@D58WQPH1>,<48905A5D-D55C-4C45-8A5C-347C66918701@eastlink.ca>,<BLU405-EAS22159B3F9D831C0B47BFD08B0310@phx.gbl>,<20150130012907.5869717.61093.5485@gmail.com>,<9BD44273-42E9-439C-AB8C-B85AA9E4FE5C@eastlink.ca>,<67D74331C76D4C3988081C98BB87FD3B@D58WQPH1>

Hi Jane -- We lived on Cape Cod for a couple of years, and first came across bayberry candles there --  as you say, a wonderful aroma permeating the shop selling them.  So we picked a bunch of berries and boiled them and as you say, a scummy wax floated off, but disappointingly we didn't get very much of it, considering the number of berries picked.   Do you think that the commercial candles are 'spiked' with some synthetic perfume, or do they just use a huge number of berries?
I haven't bothered to look this up on-line, but I'm sure there must be both answers and recipes there.
Steve (Hfx)