[NatureNS] Short-eared owls, Port Williams/Greenwich -sighted

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 17:12:13 -0400
From: "George E. Forsyth" <g4syth@nspes.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Cc: NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>

This message is in MIME format.

--=_PSIfcIizKkRUAO4c-tuycQ1

  Hi All,

I walked across the bridge to see if I might be able to see the short eared
owls, and sure enough they were flying about above the hay and corn field
south of the river (Google 45.094278, -64.403549) at about 4:15 p.m. today.
The sky was overcast, light snow, light wind from the northeast and -3C.

The owls are magnificent, the bird that to my mind flies more like
butterfly than bird. One perched on some shrubs on the borrow side of the
dyke, and one did fly north across the river so it did become a "Port
Williams" sighting, technically the south side of the river is Greenwich. I
watched for about ten minutes, they were actively flying for most of this
time, but I didn't see any prey captured. They eventually drifted across
the hwy 358 to the west and I lost sight of them.

As I walked back home across the bridge two immature Iceland gulls flew
overhead to the east, I was watching them with binoculars when a dark shape
streaked through my peripheral view. A dark peregrine falcon coursed the
river, and as I lost sight of it (it was low, with a low tide, and it flew
within the walls of the river) I could track its course by what it flushed;
a harrier, one short eared owl, and hundreds of crows! Could there be a
third short eared owl, or had the owls drifted back to there original spot
as I walked with my back to them?

Exciting none the less! Two short eared owls, a peregrine, a harrier, two
Iceland gulls, within walking distance of home and I was home for supper,
all within thirty minutes.

Cheers, George Forsyth

Quoting Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>:

> Yesterday Dominic Cormier reported seeing 3 Short-eared owls on the Port
> Williams dyke. I went there around 4:30 today, wirh Peter Brannon, Bruce
> Stevens (whom I'd met in the area earlier) and Bernard Forsythe, and we
> good good views of 2, in flight and perched on a snag. The spot is along
> the dyke wall east of the little parking lot by the bridge over the
> river - opposite the Port pub and a little farther on. Best time seems
> to be just before dusk. Bruce will put further details on eBird. Note-
> they do seem to spook easily, so please respect their personal space.
>
> I put a couple of pictures I managed here -
> http://richard-s.smugmug.com/Birds/Current-Birds/i-RsxmHSf and the next
> one (at 600mm. and cropped++).
>
> Richard
>
> --
>       #################
> Richard Stern,
> Port Williams, NS, Canada
> sternrichard@gmail.com
> ###################

--=_PSIfcIizKkRUAO4c-tuycQ1

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
I walked across the bridge to see if I might be able to see the short eared owls, and sure enough they were flying about above the hay and corn field south of the river (Google <span class="cards-reveal-left-container cards-reveal-show-lat-lng">45.094278, -64.403549) at about 4:15 p.m. today. The sky was overcast, light snow, light wind from the northeast and -3C.<br>
The owls are magnificent, the bird that to my mind flies more like butterfly than bird. One perched on some shrubs on the borrow side of the dyke, and one did fly north across the river so it did become a "Port Williams" sighting, technically the south side of the river is Greenwich.</span> I watched for about ten minutes, they were actively flying for most of this time, but I didn't see any prey captured. They eventually drifted across the hwy 358 to the west and I lost sight of them.<br>
As I walked back home across the bridge two immature Iceland gulls flew overhead to the east, I was watching them with binoculars when a dark shape streaked through my peripheral view. A dark peregrine falcon coursed the river, and as I lost sight of it (it was low, with a low tide, and it flew within the walls of the river) I could track its course by what it flushed; a harrier, one short eared owl, and hundreds of crows! Could there be a third short eared owl, or had the owls drifted back to there original spot as I walked with my back to them?<br>
Exciting none the less! Two short eared owls, a peregrine, a harrier, two Iceland gulls, within walking distance of home and I was home for supper, all within thirty minutes.<br>
Cheers, George Forsyth<br>
Quoting Richard Stern &lt;sternrichard@gmail.com&gt;:</p>
&nbsp;</div>
I put a couple of pictures I managed here - http://richard-s.smugmug.com/Birds/Current-Birds/i-RsxmHSf and the next one (at 600mm. and cropped++).<br>