[NatureNS] pine warbler - Kentville

From: "Judy" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 20:36:45 -0400

After participating in the Eagle Count this morning  Sheila McCurdy and I
went to look for the Pine Warblers off Exhibition St, Kentville, near the
Valley Regional Hospital.  The owner of the feeders which have been
attracting these warblers informed us there had been two there this morning.
The third one that had been around for some time has now disappeared but
this might be due to a  Red-tailed Hawk that is now also checking out the
feeders.  We did find one PIWA but it did not look healthy and was lethargic
in its movements.  It attempted to take a drink of water from a metal bowl
but failed and then dropped out of sight until we discovered it had found a
hollow in the snow adjacent to the water bowl and was resting with its head
under its wing feathers and we could see it visibly shivering.  Not a happy
sight.  The temperature was around minus 12o C so it was very cold for the
warblers.

Judy Tufts

 Judy Tufts

Wolfville NS