[NatureNS] Woodpecker drumming; Flicker

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 10:21:24 -0400

Dear All,                        Feb 10, 2015
    While outside briefly today at 8:50 am, to replenish shortening, I heard
two woodpeckers; one drumming vigorously on a sounding branch and a second
replying all repeated twice. [All in about two minutes because I had only
indoor clothing on.]
    Do woodpeckers begin to pair up this early ? Also I have noticed that
our Hairy WP always fly away in the same direction and wonder if they
shelter overwinter in nesting cavities
    I have seen the Flicker coming for shortening six times so far this
winter, as opposed to a cumulative sum of zero in previous winters; always
facing away so am not sure about sex.
DW, Kentville