[NatureNS] Woodpecker drumming; Flicker

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 13:19:24 -0400
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay135@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------080002060102010701000307

I have had a Flicker, a downy and a male hairy woodpecker regularly
visiting my feeders many times daily for the past couple of months. The
hairy has just in the past few days been joined by a female and,
yesterday for the first time, I heard drumming at a nearby telegraph pole!

Eleanor Lindsay
Seabright, St Margarets Bay

On 10/02/2015 10:21 AM, David & Alison Webster wrote:
> Dear All,                        Feb 10, 2015
>    While outside briefly today at 8:50 am, to replenish shortening, I
> heard two woodpeckers; one drumming vigorously on a sounding branch
> and a second replying all repeated twice. [All in about two minutes
> because I had only indoor clothing on.]
>    Do woodpeckers begin to pair up this early ? Also I have noticed
> that our Hairy WP always fly away in the same direction and wonder if
> they shelter overwinter in nesting cavities
>    I have seen the Flicker coming for shortening six times so far this
> winter, as opposed to a cumulative sum of zero in previous winters;
> always facing away so am not sure about sex.
> DW, Kentville

--------------080002060102010701000307

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      woodpecker regularly visiting</font> my feeders many times daily
    for the past couple of months. The hairy has just in the past few
    days been joined by a female and, yesterday for the first time, I
    heard drumming at a nearby telegraph pole!<br>
    Eleanor Lindsay<br>
    Seabright, St Margarets Bay<br>
      Alison Webster wrote:<br>
      type="cite">Dear All,                        Feb 10, 2015
         While outside briefly today at 8:50 am, to replenish
      shortening, I heard two woodpeckers; one drumming vigorously on a
      sounding branch and a second replying all repeated twice. [All in
      about two minutes because I had only indoor clothing on.]
         Do woodpeckers begin to pair up this early ? Also I have
      noticed that our Hairy WP always fly away in the same direction
      and wonder if they shelter overwinter in nesting cavities
         I have seen the Flicker coming for shortening six times so far
      this winter, as opposed to a cumulative sum of zero in previous
      winters; always facing away so am not sure about sex.
      DW, Kentville <br>

--------------080002060102010701000307--