[NatureNS] Feeder birds Sydney Feb 10

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 16:44:15 -0400
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------040508060001090609000607

My starlings are too damned smart.  A while ago they learned how to hang
upside down on my suet which I hang face-down to discourage them.  Now
they are hanging upside down on my niger feeder and cleaning out the
niger seeds.  I'll have to build a cage around the feeder so that small
birds can get in but the starlings can't.

I removed the seed tray from the sunflower feeder to discourage
pigeons.  Now they are holding on to the seed tube and eating while they
flap constantly to stay there.

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 10/02/2015 4:27 PM, Margaret Fraser wrote:

> I had an unexpected chance to watch my feeders today-my afternoon was
> abruptly cleared with too little notice to do much with it besides
> take my father to lunch. This afternoon I again had about 40
> goldfinches trying to bankrupt me,about 15 chickadees and a male
> downie woodpecker at the suet and then the peanut feeder. No sign of
> his mate but I am sure she is around. I usually only see her in the
> summer. Also,of course, a dozen pigeons and innumerable starlings.
> They are very faithful!
> The chickadees have started singing their full chickadeedee song. They
> were using it to swear at me when I went out to refill the feeders.
> Cheers,
> Margaret

--------------040508060001090609000607

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
        too damned smart.  A while ago they learned how to hang upside
        down on my suet which I hang face-down to discourage them.  Now
        they are hanging upside down on my niger feeder and cleaning out
        the niger seeds.  I'll have to build a cage around </font>the
      feeder so that small birds can get in but the starlings can't.<br>
      I removed the seed tray from the sunflower feeder to discourage
      pigeons.  Now they are holding on to the seed tube and eating
      while they flap constantly to stay there.<br>
      Don<br>
        donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      On 10/02/2015 4:27 PM, Margaret Fraser wrote:<br>
cite="mid:1423600029.1398.YahooMailAndroidMobile@web120002.mail.ne1.yahoo.com"
      type="cite">
        <tbody>
                    unexpected chance to watch my feeders today-my
                    afternoon was abruptly cleared with too little
                    notice to do much with it besides take my father to
                    lunch. This afternoon I again had about 40
                    goldfinches trying to bankrupt me,about 15
                    chickadees and a male downie woodpecker at the suet
                    and then the peanut feeder. No sign of his mate but
                    I am sure she is around. I usually only see her in
                    the summer. Also,of course, a dozen pigeons and
                    started singing their full chickadeedee song. They
                    were using it to swear at me when I went out to
        </tbody>

--------------040508060001090609000607--