[NatureNS] Nova Scotia Sunday Hunting survey

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 21:59:57 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0164_01D04AFD.1178DFE0

Hi Keith & All,                Feb 17, 2015
    Monday was largely taken up with finding if there was a car or =
woodpiles under that snow; still there but somewhat buried.
    I am curious about your remark that "...shooting accidents (which =
actually do happen sometimes), "
    I recall two instances, and there are no doubt many more, where men =
(not hunting) were shot in very low light conditions (both in Kings =
County). One was 6'4", stopped to empty his bowels on a railway  track =
in late twilight and was mistaken for a woodchuck. Another walking =
through his orchard in late twilight was mistaken for a bear. In =
response to such accidents the legal times before sunrise and after =
sunset were shortened a few decades ago. And before that change most =
hunters, who I knew, emptied their chambers long before they legally had =
to quit.

    But offhand I can not recall one instance where anyone who was not a =
member of a hunting group was shot in good light. Are there any such =
examples and if so what is the frequency in accident  per hunter-hours ? =
=20

    Sometimes members of a hunting group do get shot but that is a =
different matter because they are close at hand (even only 50 yards away =
the chance of being shot by a gun pointed at random is remote); people =
get tired and forget to follow common sense procedures. Greenhorns have =
been known to do silly things like squeezing a trigger to see if their =
safety is on. One hunting partner put a handfull of ammunition in a =
jacket pocket that also had a handfull of wooden matches and hours later =
one of the matches lit. Fortunately I smelled burning matches and =
alerted him. And so on.=20

    Moving along to another quote=20
"I do think is absurd is to suggest that animals need to be culled by =
man. Nature can do its own culling."
    While it is true that nature can do its own culling there may be =
better ways to achieve the same result.=20
    Coyotes (really Coywolfs here) could contribute I suppose but (as in =
the Cape Breton instance) they would likely cull more than a few hikers =
and tourists especially when deer became less abundant. I once came =
across the scene on snow of a deer killed by several Coyotes, one day =
after it had not been there, and it was a perfect example of nature red =
in tooth and claw. A very large area covered with deer tracks, blood, =
deer hair, Coyote tracks and only a small part of one leg left. If deer =
could vote I am sure they would chose swift death by bullet or even slow =
death by a paunch shot over being torn apart apparently over a period of =
hours by Coywolfs.=20
    I would suggest that in some situations, especially overstocking =
relative to the sustainable yield of the cover, it is desirable to =
reduce herd density and further suggest it is downright cruel to not =
attempt suitable herd reduction. And downright wasteful to not make use =
of any of this excellent meat, provided the tradition of how to gut a =
deer properly and how to cut it up properly is maintained. And these =
skills once lost will be regained only with great trial and error.
.
    Natural culling could involve degradation of available food sources =
to the point that animals entered the winter in a weakened condition, =
forest and understory regeneration were damaged, soil degradation and =
erosion might follow and many deer would starve in average winters. Or =
they might move into residential areas, where they can not be shot, be =
fed and eventually become a pest as has increasingly been happening in =
the North East.

    If there is a fork in the road where one arm leads to a field of =
positives and the other leads to a field of negatives how can one =
seriously consider the negative fork to be the better choice ?

    It is way past my bedtime.

Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville
   =20
   =20