[NatureNS] Bohemian Waxwings Lunenburg plus Mallards

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 17:37:24 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

A friend tells me he had a flock of about 60 Bohemian Waxwings in the Centennial Ave area of Lunenburg this afternoon.

I was surprised to arrive home today and find a pair of Mallards wandering around  on top of the deep snow in my backyard, smack in center of Old Town Lunenburg (nr St Jphn's Anglican Church). I don't know what might have brought them here as no one feeds birds in the neighbourhood (the town discourages feeding in the Old Town presumably b/c it attracts raccoons, rats and pigeons etc). Mallards do seem to turn up in strange places but it is the first time I have ever seen them at/near this location. Flew in? Or maybe walked up through the streets from the Harbuor?

Nancy