[NatureNS] Bohemian Waxwings Lunenburg plus Mallards

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 17:52:05 -0400
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------050306020203040801040907

My neighbour says there were two ducks in my backyard yesterday near the
Halifax Shopping Centre.  We don't put out any feed that would interest
them.

Similarly, a Ring-billed Gull landed in our yard yesterday and an
Iceland Gull today.  They must all be attracted by the activity of the
other birds.

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 22/02/2015 5:37 PM, nancy dowd wrote:
> A friend tells me he had a flock of about 60 Bohemian Waxwings in the Centennial Ave area of Lunenburg this afternoon.
>
> I was surprised to arrive home today and find a pair of Mallards wandering around  on top of the deep snow in my backyard, smack in center of Old Town Lunenburg (nr St Jphn's Anglican Church). I don't know what might have brought them here as no one feeds birds in the neighbourhood (the town discourages feeding in the Old Town presumably b/c it attracts raccoons, rats and pigeons etc). Mallards do seem to turn up in strange places but it is the first time I have ever seen them at/near this location. Flew in? Or maybe walked up through the streets from the Harbuor?
>
> Nancy

--------------050306020203040801040907

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
        there were two ducks in my backyard yesterday near the Halifax
        Shopping Centre.  We don't put out any feed that would interest
        them.<br>
        Similarly, a Ring-billed Gull landed in our yard yesterday and
        an Iceland Gull today.  They must all be attracted by the
        activity of the other birds.<br>
        Don<br>
        donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      On 22/02/2015 5:37 PM, nancy dowd wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:703026D0-D6B7-464F-B1ED-00B32BF9322D@gmail.com"
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">A friend tells me he had a flock of about 60 Bohemian Waxwings in the Centennial Ave area of Lunenburg this afternoon.

I was surprised to arrive home today and find a pair of Mallards wandering around  on top of the deep snow in my backyard, smack in center of Old Town Lunenburg (nr St Jphn's Anglican Church). I don't know what might have brought them here as no one feeds birds in the neighbourhood (the town discourages feeding in the Old Town presumably b/c it attracts raccoons, rats and pigeons etc). Mallards do seem to turn up in strange places but it is the first time I have ever seen them at/near this location. Flew in? Or maybe walked up through the streets from the Harbuor?

Nancy

</pre>

--------------050306020203040801040907--