[NatureNS] Birds and Coffee

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 10:39:45 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01D063C3.5924F070

Hi All,

I watched the Songbird SOS program that was first aired Thursday night on
the Nature of Things. It was good to see the number of Canadian scientists
that were featured. A longer program could have featured many more I'm sure.
With my interest in acoustic monitoring, I was pleased to see how they used
this technology to demonstrate the extent of nocturnal migration and what it
sounds like.

The piece on forest-grown coffee was well done but didn't go into what the
individual consumer can do to encourage the expansion of forest-grown
coffee. There is a Canadian supplier of certified bird friendly, forest
grown coffee, Birds and Beans. They have a video on their website explaining
what this certification means, and you can order certified coffee from them
online. The website is birdsandbeans.ca. The scientist featured at the
beginning and end of Songbird SOS, Bridget Stutchbury, has sponsored some of
their blends.

I have tried to initiate a dialogue on several occasions with Just Us in
Grand Pre about bird certified blends but have had no success so far. They
claim much of their coffee is shade-grown so why not go through the bird
certification process, a process that they insist is indispensable when it
comes to fair trade. Given the alarming declines in bird populations as
emphasized in this TV program, it is time for us to demand that coffee
companies provide proof that their products have been certified by an
independent agency as promoting the conservation of birds.

John

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01D063C3.5924F070

xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>Hi =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>I watched =
the Songbird SOS program that was first aired Thursday night on the =
Nature of Things. It was good to see the number of Canadian scientists =
that were featured. A longer program could have featured many more =
I&#8217;m sure. With my interest in acoustic monitoring, I was pleased =
to see how they used this technology to demonstrate the extent of =
nocturnal migration and what it sounds like.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;=
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>The piece =
on forest-grown coffee was well done but didn&#8217;t go into what the =
individual consumer can do to encourage the expansion of forest-grown =
coffee. There is a Canadian supplier of certified bird friendly, forest =
grown coffee, Birds and Beans. They have a video on their website =
explaining what this certification means, and you can order certified =
coffee from them online. The website is birdsandbeans.ca. The scientist =
featured at the beginning and end of Songbird SOS, Bridget Stutchbury, =
has sponsored some of their blends.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;=
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>I have =
tried to initiate a dialogue on several occasions with Just Us in Grand =
Pre about bird certified blends but have had no success so far. They =
claim much of their coffee is shade-grown so why not go through the bird =
certification process, a process that they insist is indispensable when =
it comes to fair trade. Given the alarming declines in bird populations =
as emphasized in this TV program, it is time for us to demand that =
coffee companies provide proof that their products have been certified =
by an independent agency as promoting the conservation of =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>John</span>=
------=_NextPart_000_001D_01D063C3.5924F070--