[NatureNS] Birds and Coffee

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 15:53:25 -0300
From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7bfcec48a261f00511d0f2ba

Hi folks,
I have not yet seen the doc.
I agree the topic of bird friendly coffee  is an extremely important one. I
know the NS Bird Society has discussed it on occasion. BNS has not yet.
There needs to be more discussion/awareness of differences in
certifications and brands in terms of their benefit to birds, and where and
how we can introduce more bird friendly coffee into our days and events of
our organizations.

As a member of the BNS program committee, in addition to currently trying
to line up a screening of 'The Messenger' documentary in the area (followed
up by discussion), I'd like to help get some more discussion going around
bird friendly and 'Bird Friendly' coffee too. This could include, among
other things, an invited speaker for one of our monthly meetings.

Our groups/organizations could be promoting bird friendly coffee by:
- serving it at our events
- encouraging local fair trade coffee companies to seek 'bird friendly'
certification
- writing up a promotional one-pager we can distribute to highlight the
benefits
- making web maps of locations in NS where bird friendly coffee can be
bought when out birding and need a caffeine fix - start with our birding
hotspots
- donating bird friendly coffee to events held by other groups (e.g., town
meetings, school groups)
- subsidizing shipment of bird friendly coffee to the area from Birds and
Beans or other certified companies (e.g., 'order bird friendly coffee
through BNS or the NSBS or Bird Studies Canada and receive a 15%
discount'); for organizations we could consider this as a
donation/ investment for bird conservation
- starting a listserv or Facebook group devoted to constructive discussions
around this
- putting a blurb on our webpages

 - it could also be a great topic for a blog or yearly challenge: a big
bird-friendly coffee year (writing about daily challenges finding it,
discussions with people etc), or "a year without Tim's".

If you have other ideas on speakers or opportunities BNS could be involved
in, please pass them along here, to Jameslchurchill@gmail.com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','Jameslchurchill@gmail.com');>, or the BNS
Facebook group.

Thanks to John for initiating this conversation.

Cheers,

--
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia

--047d7bfcec48a261f00511d0f2ba

ee the topic of bird friendly coffee&nbsp;&nbsp;is an extremely important o=
ne.&nbsp;I know the NS Bird Society has discussed it on occasion. BNS has n=
ot yet. There needs to be more discussion/awareness of differences in certi=
fications and brands in terms of their benefit to birds, and where and how =
we can introduce more bird friendly coffee into our days&nbsp;and events of=
rogram committee,&nbsp;in addition&nbsp;to currently trying to&nbsp;line up=
 a screening of &#39;The Messenger&#39; documentary in the area (followed u=
p by discussion), I&#39;d like to help&nbsp;get some more discussion going =
around bird friendly and &#39;Bird Friendly&#39; coffee too. This could inc=
lude, among other things, an invited speaker for one of our monthly meeting=
div>- encouraging local fair trade coffee&nbsp;companies to seek &#39;bird =
friendly&#39; certification</div><div>- writing up a promotional&nbsp;one-p=
ager we can distribute to highlight the benefits&nbsp;</div><div>- making w=
eb&nbsp;maps of locations in NS&nbsp;where bird friendly coffee can be boug=
ht when out birding and need a&nbsp;caffeine fix - start with our birding h=
otspots</div><div>- donating bird friendly coffee to events held by&nbsp;ot=
her groups (e.g., town meetings, school groups)</div><div>- subsidizing shi=
pment of bird friendly coffee to the area from Birds and Beans or other cer=
tified companies (e.g., &#39;order bird friendly coffee through BNS or the =
NSBS or Bird Studies Canada and receive a 15% discount&#39;); for organizat=
ions we could consider this as a donation/&nbsp;investment for bird&nbsp;co=
nservation</div><div>- starting a listserv or Facebook group devoted to con=
structive discussions around this</div><div>- putting a blurb on our webpag=
c for a blog or yearly challenge: a big bird-friendly coffee year (writing =
about daily challenges finding it, discussions with people&nbsp;etc), or &q=