[NatureNS] more on Birds and Coffee

Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 18:04:32 -0300
From: Ian Manning <ianmanning4@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c34f303fe9620511fb03e1

Sorry everyone!

That link somehow ended up with an extra two "f's" in there.

Try this:
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migratorybirds/coffee/Norms-English_1.pdf

Also here's a webpage with a brief description of what's in the PDF:
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migratorybirds/coffee/criteria.cfm

I also sent an email to Dr. Rice who runs the certification. This was his
response. He also sent me some documents, which I don't I am able to attach
to the List Serve. If anyone wants to check them out, send me a private
email and I'll send them your way. From what Dr. Rice says below, it sounds
like a pretty easy certification and something that wouldn't be terribly
difficult to implement.

*"Dear Ian-Glad to see that someone has watched the Songbird SOS film and
taken it upon himself to contact us about the program.Bird Friendly
certified coffee is a shade certification carried out via third-party,
independent certification agencies that also conduct organic certification
for farms. There are quite a few =E2=80=9Cshade-grown=E2=80=9D coffees on t=
he market, but
many have not inspection or certification associated with them at all. They
are shade grown because the roaster says they are, usually from talking to
importers who talk to farmers =E2=80=94 all a very long and tenuous chain o=
information being passed along and, quite likely, having the coffee called
shade grown because it=E2=80=99s now known that there is a market advantage=
 to that
designation.BF certification is done according to criteria we created, but
the actually inspection/certification is done with the same inspectors and
agencies who conduct organic inspections and certifications. There=E2=80=99=
s a
checklist we=E2=80=99ve developed for the inspectors that they take to the =
field
and do the shade inspection at the same time they do the organic
inspection=E2=80=94thus saving time, effort and money for all involved. The=
 charge
for the BF inspection is minimal compared to the organic, as it is a
supplemental certification to organic, assuring the habitat viability of
the coffee area.Here are a few documents that help explain the program.Let
me know if you need more information.Again, thank you for the email and
inquiry.Regards,Robert"*

On Mar 23, 2015, at 2:24 PM, ianmanning4@gmail.com wrote:

> This message was submitted from Ian Manning via this page on the National
Zoo | FONZ website:
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migratorybirds/education/teacher_resources/b=
ridging_the_americas/default.cfm
on:
Monday, March 23, 2015 14:24:48 Dear Dr. Rice,

> I'm not a coffee grower, but I watched a recent CBC documentary titled
Songbird SOS, and have been looking into bird-friendly coffee. I've yet to
find any specific information about the certification process. If possible,
could you please send along the form mentioned on your website, or if not,
point me in the right direction of more specific guidelines that explain
how Bird Friendly Coffee is certified, and/or how it differs from
Shade-grown coffee.

On 23 March 2015 at 15:37, Ian Manning <ianmanning4@gmail.com> wrote:

> *For those interested, I found this document buried in the Smithsonian
> National Zoo website.*
>
> *http://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migffratorybirds/coffee/Norms-English_1.p=
df
> <http://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migffratorybirds/coffee/Norms-English_1.p=
df>*

> There's specific instructions about canopy closure, strata, and floral
> diversity. Especially interesting that the dominant shade tree has to be =
> native species, and occupy no greater than 60% of the total shade trees.
>
> Ian

--001a11c34f303fe9620511fb03e1

 ended up with an extra two &quot;f&#39;s&quot; in there.=C2=A0</div><div><=
br></div><div>Try this:=C2=A0<a href=3D"http://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migr=
atorybirds/coffee/Norms-English_1.pdf" target=3D"_blank">http://nationalzoo=
div><div>Also here&#39;s a webpage with a brief description of what&#39;s i=
n the PDF:=C2=A0<a href=3D"http://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migratorybirds/co=
ffee/criteria.cfm" target=3D"_blank">http://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migrato=
lso sent an email to Dr. Rice who runs the certification. This was his resp=
onse. He also sent me some documents, which I don&#39;t I am able to attach=
 to the List Serve. If anyone wants to check them out, send me a private em=
ail and I&#39;ll send them your way. From what Dr. Rice says below, it soun=
ds like a pretty easy certification and something that wouldn&#39;t be terr=
as watched the Songbird SOS film and taken it upon himself to contact us ab=
out the program.<br><br>Bird Friendly certified coffee is a shade certifica=
tion carried out via third-party, independent certification agencies that a=
lso conduct organic certification for farms. There are quite a few =E2=80=
=9Cshade-grown=E2=80=9D coffees on the market, but many have not inspection=
 or certification associated with them at all. They are shade grown because=
 the roaster says they are, usually from talking to importers who talk to f=
armers =E2=80=94 all a very long and tenuous chain of information being pas=