[NatureNS] Spring Observations- Canning NS

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 08:47:52 -0300
From: Ian Manning <ianmanning4@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7b5d22b0035d670512a8493a

Thank-you for the help everyone.

Regardless of the species, I was very happy to see them out and about.

Just in time for the first day of fishing season, not that I'll be heading
out today!

Ian

On 31 March 2015 at 16:20, Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com> wrote:

> There are about 650 species in NA so one can imagine the difficulty in
> identifying an individual to the species level. Several books available but
> a* used *one will set you back $75 (Amazon). Two of your photos are quite
> good if we had the book!
>
> The most common genus emerging at this time is Allocapnia. At least some
> if not all would be in this genus.
> Angus
>
> ------------------------------
> From: srshaw@Dal.Ca
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Spring Observations- Canning NS
> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 16:19:48 +0000
>

> Stoneflies, Plecoptera, no idea which species.  Most look normal, but the
> last one with distorted wings probably got trapped in a confined space when
> emerging while the wings were expanding, and they hardened permanently that
> way.  Sometimes happens with cultured flies.
> Steve
>
>  On Mar 31, 2015, at 12:12 PM, Ian Manning <ianmanning4@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  A few interesting things to note.
>
>  Went snowshoeing along the Habitant River, Canning, NS. The ice is still
> very thick in most spots, however is open at some inlets, and shallow
> areas.
>
>  Lots of signs of spring activity. Most notably the presence of many
> insects crawling around the snow. I saw approximately 20 in total. They
> seemed to be hatching out of the water. Stoneflies perhaps? Their wings
> were very crinkled, like they had just emerged. O took photos of four
> separate individuals. They're a little blurry, but perhaps with timing,
> shape, and habitat (eutrophic, slow-moving, warm, shallow-river) they can
> be identified. ID help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>  Photos below :
>
>  http://imgur.com/a/tMtIw
>
>  There were also quite a few geese overhead. Probably a total of 10
> flocks. Two were quite large consisting of over 40 birds. In total I'd
> estimate 200 geese flew overhead, heading in a westerly direction from
> Kingsport, honking loudly. First birds of the season that I can say with
> confidence are spring migrants.
>
>  Ian
>
>  http://bit.ly/NS-Spring
>  http://bit.ly/NS-Spring-Obs

--047d7b5d22b0035d670512a8493a

iv>Regardless of the species, I was very happy to see them out and about. <=
br><br></div>Just in time for the first day of fishing season, not that I&#=
_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 31 March 2015 at 16:20, Angus Mac=
Lean <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:cold_mac@hotmail.com" target=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padd=
ing-left:1ex">

the difficulty in identifying an individual to the species level. Several b=
ooks available but a<u> used </u>one will set you back $75 (Amazon). Two of=
 your photos are quite good if we had the book!<br>=C2=A0<br>The most commo=
n genus emerging at this time is Allocapnia. At least some if not all would=
: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">naturens@che=
bucto.ns.ca</a><br>Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Spring Observations- Canning NS<=

Stoneflies, Plecoptera, no idea which species.=C2=A0 Most look normal, but =
the last one with distorted wings probably got trapped in a confined space =
when emerging while the wings were expanding, and they hardened permanently=
 that way.=C2=A0 Sometimes happens with cultured
 flies.=C2=A0
ning4@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">ianmanning4@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:</di=
v>
ll very thick in most spots, however is open at some inlets, and shallow ar=
eas.=C2=A0</div>
sects crawling around the snow. I saw approximately 20 in total. They seeme=
d to be hatching out of the water. Stoneflies perhaps? Their wings were ver=
y crinkled, like they had just emerged.
 O took photos of four separate individuals. They&#39;re a little blurry, b=
ut perhaps with timing, shape, and habitat (eutrophic, slow-moving, warm, s=
hallow-river) they can be identified. ID help would be greatly appreciated.=
=C2=A0</div>
m/a/tMtIw</a><br>
cks. Two were quite large consisting of over 40 birds. In total I&#39;d est=
imate 200 geese flew overhead, heading in a westerly direction from Kingspo=
rt, honking loudly. First birds of the
 season that I can say with confidence are spring migrants.=C2=A0</div>
-Spring</a><br>
y/NS-Spring-Obs</a><br>

--047d7b5d22b0035d670512a8493a--