[NatureNS] Question: Starlings entering Tree Swallow boxes

Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 14:30:13 -0300
From: "George E. Forsyth" <g4syth@nspes.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

This message is in MIME format.

--=_T4YqH4cbp9UdF1RkP04xkQ1

  Hi Ron,

There are a number of boxes at the Port Williams Sewer Treatment facility.
I've had success with oval holes, drill two side by side 1" or even 7/8",
then rasp the small triangles to create an oval hole. The tree swallows
seem to go in easily, the hole is the shape of their body contours. Also
when the young are begging at the door two can be fed at the same time
without the adult entering the box.

http://www.fraservalleybirding.com/Articles/Nest%20Boxes.htm

Best of luck with this,
George Forsyth

Quoting Ron Wilson <solidago123@gmail.com>:

> Hello All
>    Are Starling usually able to enter Tree Swallow nesting boxes?
>
>    I built the boxes with a 1+1/2 inch entrance hole which is what the
> Tree Swallow box specs call for.
>
>    Starlings have been coming and going to one of the boxes today and
> this is not something I wish to encourage - to put it mildly.
>
>    Thanks, Ron Wilson
>                  Somerset NS

--=_T4YqH4cbp9UdF1RkP04xkQ1

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
There are a number of boxes at the Port Williams Sewer Treatment facility. I've had success with oval holes, drill two side by side 1" or even 7/8", then rasp the small triangles to create an oval hole. The tree swallows seem to go in easily, the hole is the shape of their body contours. Also when the young are begging at the door two can be fed at the same time without the adult entering the box.<br>
http://www.fraservalleybirding.com/Articles/Nest%20Boxes.htm<br>
Best of luck with this,<br>
George Forsyth<br>
Quoting Ron Wilson &lt;solidago123@gmail.com&gt;:</p>