[NatureNS] Interesting History

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 09:26:16 -0300
From: Ian Manning <ianmanning4@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7b5d659218d254051349c148

Well said James,

Agreed on all points. With your recent citizen science expo, did anything
pop-up from the K-12 schools? It'd be great to see a similar service take
place optimized with technology. I believe the NS Grade 4 curriculum (if
I'm remembering right), has a unit on Species At Risk and Habitat. Such a
service could serve as a slick tie-in.

 Are there any teachers on this list? Perhaps this is something that could
be incorporated relatively easily. Is there a provincial requirement for
natural-education?

Thanks for posting that article. What an impressive coverage of schools.

A correction to my previous post *Sara rather than Sarah.

Best,
Ian

On 9 April 2015 at 08:24, James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com> wrote:

> school kids as citizen scientists and detectors of change. With the ease
> of posting and mapping observations these days, the instant feedback of web
> maps...this seems like only a web application and a vision away.
>
> Inherently, this seems like a great way to keep school kids connected to
> nature and involved in citizen science.
>
> From the data side of things, can anyone comment on how or whether these
> observations have been used? or how they could be useful in the future
> beyond what naturalists and scientists here collect currently?
>
> Here's a link to one of the papers cited by Spike which also shows a map
> of the impressive spatial coverage of schools involved:
>
> http://www.academia.edu/8008825/IMPACT_OF_CLIMATE_ON_CHANGES_IN_THE_SEASONAL_TIMING_OF_LIFE_CYCLE_EVENTS_OF_EASTERN_CANADA_FROM_1901_TO_1923
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 7:30 AM, Ian Manning <ianmanning4@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A cool blog post, I saw re-posted by Marian Munro of MNH. This was
>> written by Sarah Spike, a PhD student at Carleton. I think this will be of
>> interest to most list-members.
>>
>> A quick summary. Under direction of A.H MacKay between 1897-1925,
>> students would collect natural history phenology data in the form of
>> journal-entries. Each year, teachers would summarize the students data, and
>> submit to A.H MacKay resulting in a useful set of baseline data regarding
>> spring phenomena.
>>
>> Full article linked below:
>>

>> http://niche-canada.org/2015/04/08/phenology-and-local-knowledge-in-early-twentieth-century-rural-nova-scotia/
>>
>> Best,
>> Ian
>>

> --
> James Churchill
> Kentville, Nova Scotia
> jameslchurchill@gmail.com
> (902) 681-2374

--047d7b5d659218d254051349c148

ts. With your recent citizen science expo, did anything pop-up from the K-1=
2 schools? It&#39;d be great to see a similar service take place optimized =
with technology. I believe the NS Grade 4 curriculum (if I&#39;m rememberin=
g right), has a unit on Species At Risk and Habitat. Such a service could s=
erve as a slick tie-in. <br><br>=C2=A0Are there any teachers on this list? =
Perhaps this is something that could be incorporated relatively easily. Is =
anks for posting that article. What an impressive coverage of schools. <br>=
ril 2015 at 08:24, James Churchill <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
jameslchurchill@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">jameslchurchill@gmail.com</a>&=
gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 =
0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">school=
 kids as citizen scientists and detectors of change. With the ease of posti=
ng and mapping observations these days, the instant feedback of web maps...=
this seems like only a web application and a vision away.=C2=A0<div><br></d=
iv><div>Inherently, this seems like a great way to keep school kids connect=
v>From the data side of things, can anyone comment on how or whether these =
observations have been used? or how they could be useful in the future beyo=
div><div>Here&#39;s a link to one of the papers cited by Spike which also s=
hows a map of the impressive spatial coverage of schools involved:=C2=A0</d=
iv><div><a href=3D"http://www.academia.edu/8008825/IMPACT_OF_CLIMATE_ON_CHA=
NGES_IN_THE_SEASONAL_TIMING_OF_LIFE_CYCLE_EVENTS_OF_EASTERN_CANADA_FROM_190=
1_TO_1923" target=3D"_blank">http://www.academia.edu/8008825/IMPACT_OF_CLIM=
ATE_ON_CHANGES_IN_THE_SEASONAL_TIMING_OF_LIFE_CYCLE_EVENTS_OF_EASTERN_CANAD=
 class=3D"h5"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 7:30 AM=
, Ian Manning <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ianmanning4@gmail.com=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc s=
olid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">A cool blog post, I saw re-posted b=
y Marian Munro of MNH. This was written by Sarah Spike, a PhD student at Ca=
rleton. I think this will be of interest to most list-members.=C2=A0<div><b=
r></div><div>A quick summary. Under direction of A.H MacKay between 1897-19=
" target=3D"_blank">http:/