[NatureNS] neonics

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 20:21:00 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_08BC_01D07495.06A74900

Hi Nick & All,                                Apr 11, 2015
    I don't pretend to know enough about this to reach an informed =
opinion. On one side there seems to be damming evidence (perhaps =
simplistic as sometimes is the case) and on the other side are =
statements such as--
"If bee health problems were critical in Canada, they would certainly =
have surfaced in the country=E2=80=99s 19 million acres of canola farms, =
which are mostly in the west. Beekeepers who forage their bees in the =
canola fields, where neonics are used far more heavily than on Ontario =
and Quebec farms, say their hives are generally thriving."=20
    I find it difficult to reconcile the above quote, from the Forbes =
article, with the contrary 'scientific evidence'. Has the Canola =
experience been distorted or is there bias in much of the research to =
date ? Up to now I have signed many of the ban neonics petitions in =
circulation but I now have doubts and will likely pass in future.
    I made a few inquiries last year and eventually learned, from an =
Entomologist with no further elaboration, that neonics are widely used =
in NS agriculture.  Most just declined any comment.=20
    One Strawberry grower who, as I recall, uses neonics on the first =
year fields and bees in nearby second and subsequent year fields has =
watched closely for problems, seen none, and the hive owner has also =
failed to see problems.=20
    In a recent newspaper article, that featured a Greenwich bee keeper, =
I came away with the impression that excessive mortality, over and above =
the long-standing normal, was not a problem in his hives.
    If and when a sufficient body of practical experience and ground =
truth does not agree with conventional wisdom based on research then =
there is something wrong with the research. Sometimes research is =
slanted to prove a point or to get results quickly and both may impede =
isolation of the truth. That brown pearl, often hidden in a large =
steaming mound of BS, is easily overlooked.

YT, Dave Webster
   =20

   =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20