[NatureNS] wind turbines

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 09:47:42 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c2875a9a4e610513c2c25d

Environmental Assessments help in judging whether a turbine is slated to be
in a bad/good place. Some windy spots attract migrating birds...I seem to
recall one site in California which chomped up raptors because of this
issue.

Tower structure also matters - you don't see latticework towers anymore.
Those towers offered perch sites to unsuspecting birds who were
unceremoniously killed as they approached.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 15 April 2015 at 09:27, Keith Lowe <mythos25@live.com> wrote:

> I'll see if I can find a link later but I read an article last week about
> man-made causes of bird deaths in North America. It claimed 200,000,000
> birds are killed by outside cats each year in North America and 23,000
> birds
> are killed by wind turbines (.001% of cat deaths). Office building were
> also
> far more deadly for birds than wind turbines but not as much as cats.
>
> Keith Lowe

on&#39;t see latticework towers anymore. Those towers offered perch sites t=
o unsuspecting birds who were unceremoniously killed as they approached.</d=
r=3D"all"><div><div class=3D"gmail_signature">_____________________________=
div>
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mythos25@live.com" target=3D"_blank">myth=
yle=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I&#39=
;ll see if I can find a link later but I read an article last week about<br=

man-made causes of bird deaths in North America. It claimed 200,000,000<br>
birds are killed by outside cats each year in North America and 23,000 bird=
s<br>
are killed by wind turbines (.001% of cat deaths). Office building were als=
o<br>
far more deadly for birds than wind turbines but not as much as cats.<br>
Keith Lowe<br>
-----Original Message-----<br>
From: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens-owner@chebu=
cto.ns.ca</a> [mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca">natu=
rens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca</a>]<br>
On Behalf Of Marg Millard<br>
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 9:19 AM<br>
To: naturens<br>
Subject: [NatureNS] wind turbines<br>
Last evening I attended a meeting about renewable sources of energy, and<br=

storage of electricity. Very interesting. I am curious about these<br>
structures. Do we have any idea now how they are affecting the bird<br>
population?=C2=A0 There was talk of numbers increasing and their height and=
 size<br>
growing....=C2=A0 my understanding is the peak time for them to run is at n=
ight<br>
as that is when we have maximum wind and as battery storage is improved<br>
there will be more and more of them. I actually don&#39;t mind them visuall=
y,<br>
but I remember doing a land survey on PEI (in Southport just at the end of<=
br>
the causeway from Charlottetown) back in the 70&#39;s and It was a disaster=
 for<br>
the birds.=C2=A0 Has there been an improvement in design, is someone workin=
g<br>
toward that end, some warning system to protect the birds somehow. I should=
have asked this at the meeting but well, I loose my train of thought very<b=
r>
quickly and probably wouldn&#39;t have made any sense.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Marg Mil=
lard<br>
19 White Point 2 Rd.,<br>
White Point, Queens Co.,<br>
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point,<br>