[NatureNS] wind turbines

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 08:52:47 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Quoting Keith Lowe <mythos25@live.com>:

> I'll see if I can find a link later but I read an article last week about
> man-made causes of bird deaths in North America. It claimed 200,000,000
> birds are killed by outside cats each year in North America and 23,000 birds
> are killed by wind turbines (.001% of cat deaths). Office building were also
> far more deadly for birds than wind turbines but not as much as cats.

* that study was widely whooped when it came out - but of course both
office buildings and Cats are currently much more widespread than wind
turbines. What we need to understand, in evaluating the ecological
impact of planned turbines, is how many Birds, of which species, would
wind turbines kill for any level of electricity production (i.e.
birds/megawatt), and how much this ratio would be influenced by the
stupid vs intelligent placement of the turbines - e.g.
http://www.saveostranderpoint.org/

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
       Mudpuppy Night - http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
     study our books - http://pinicola.ca/books/index.htm
"[The] two fundamental steps of scientific thought - the conjecture
and refutation of Popper - have little place in the usual conception
of intelligence. If something is to be dismissed as inadequate, it is
surely not Darwin [, whose] works manifest the activity of a mind
seeking for wisdom, a value which conventional philosophy has largely
abandoned." Ghiselen, 1969. Triumph of the Darwinian Method, p 237.