[NatureNS] wind turbines

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 16:52:35 -0300

&amp;gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0 (613)258-3107 &amp;lt;bckcdb at &lt;a href=3D"http://istar.ca"&gt

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01D0779C.92ECF270

Nick neither was I slamming the wind industry. We need to find power =
since we are so dependent on it. I was curious about how can we protect =
the birds at the same time. I had taken my tea to my stoop and was =
missing the morning song I have been treated to for the past while. Its =
absence was remarkable! I cannot imaging how it would be to live in a =
world without birds.=20

This isn't an apology for wind farms but context. What are we to use for =
power?
If we use fossil C then the impact on climate and variability of weather =
patterns are more pronounced.
If we use  large scale hydro we get large impacts on the functionally =
important and biodiverse riparian zone. Major use of forest for biomass =
energy will have widespread impact on forest soils their carbon reserves =
and on forest diversity.
Nuclear is an option that few appear to  support.
Given the lineup, as naturalists one might think we would look on wind =
more favorably than the others from a habitat and biodiversity =
viewpoint.=20
having been part of an assessment of impacts of wind turbines on =
wetlands and privee to the process of assessing impacts on birds, I was =
impressed at the scrutiny exercised by DNR wildlife division. These are =
complex issues and none, save major reduction in energy use, are without =
impacts. It is good that naturalists show their concerns over these =
choices.

Nick

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01D0779C.92ECF270

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial'; COLOR: #000000">
<P dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><FONT=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt"></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><FONT style=3D"FONT-SIZE: =
12pt">Nick=20
neither was I slamming the wind industry. We need to find power since we =
are so=20
dependent on it. I was curious about how can we protect the birds at the =
same=20
time. I had taken my tea to my stoop and was missing the morning song I =
have=20
been treated to for the past while. Its absence was remarkable! I cannot =
imaging=20
how it would be to live in a world without birds. </FONT></FONT></P>
<P dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><FONT=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt"></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><FONT=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt"></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><FONT=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: =
12pt">.............................</FONT></FONT></P>
<P dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><FONT style=3D"FONT-SIZE: =
12pt">This isn't=20
an apology for wind farms but context. What are we to use for =
power?<BR>If we=20
use fossil C then the impact on climate and variability of weather =
patterns are=20
more pronounced.<BR>If we use&nbsp; large scale hydro we get large =
impacts on=20
the functionally important and biodiverse riparian zone. Major use of =
forest for=20
biomass energy will have widespread impact on forest soils their carbon =
reserves=20
and on forest diversity.<BR>Nuclear is an option that few appear =
to&nbsp;=20
support.<BR>Given the lineup, as naturalists one might think we would =
look on=20
wind more favorably than the others from a habitat and biodiversity =
viewpoint.=20
<BR>having been part of an assessment of impacts of wind turbines on =
wetlands=20
and privee to the process of assessing impacts on birds, I was impressed =
at the=20
scrutiny exercised by DNR wildlife division. These are complex issues =
and none,=20
save major reduction in energy use, are without impacts. It is good that =

naturalists show their concerns over these choices.</FONT></FONT></P>
<P dir=3Dltr><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><FONT=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: =
12pt">Nick</FONT></FONT></P></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01D0779C.92ECF270--