[NatureNS] wind turbines

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 05:35:14 +0000

&gt; Daily Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogs
Nick's examples of the complexities of renewable and non-renewable energy decisions is a welcome reminder, but omits several renewable sources like energy extraction from wave action, tidal fluctuation, geothermal sources, and of course photovoltaic and solar concentrator sources.  I don't think you can do justice to all this and get much useful out of verbal exchanges like those here without going into what is technically feasible in terms of practical energy extraction from various sources, then modulating this by social/political constraints.  Otherwise 'that's mostly hot air', to quote MacKay (see next) -- you need hard numbers not verbiage.

A remarkable book that I came across that is both very readable and with lots of pictures and graphs, and is full of feasibility calculations made in an accessible way, and that I'd highly recommend if you are interested in renewable and non-renewable energy sources is by David J. C. MacKay "Sustainable Energy - without the hot air", 383 pages.   Download the PDF file, for free (!), from
www.withouthotair.com
the book file is an acronym, called sewtha.pdf, about 13.9MB.  My copy is 2009 but he may update the file periodically, it says somewhere.  He's a Cambridge UK physicist and writes engagingly well in a quite folksy manner.  The numbers in the examples are taken mostly from UK, but would probably apply largely to any developed country after rescaling.

Briefly, among comments relevant to this topic of wind power, he says 30,000 birds are killed per year in Denmark (which gets 9% of its electricity from its many wind turbines), versus 1,000,000
killed by encounters with traffic (ratio 3 : 100).  He couldn't find data for Denmark, but an estimated 50,000,000 birds are killed by cats in UK (larger land area and population); the number for collision with UK building windows is believed to be similar to the toll taken by cats.

Wind power is 'sustainable' but is not useful by itself because it is so variable.  You'd think that this would average out if you had a lot of well distributed wind turbines, but apparently not so. MacKay shows daily figures for a recent year, averaged for all of Ireland: these fluctuate wildly by more than a factor of 10, with several days in a row with no wind power at all.

Lots of other stuff -- great book, very informative, and it's free!
Steve (Hfx)