[NatureNS] wind turbines

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 21:35:04 -0300

&lt;DIV&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; But that

------=_NextPart_000_00E2_01D077C4.0949C7F0

Hi All,

As someone who has conducted environmental assessments at about a dozen =
wind energy facilities in Nova Scotia I would like to make a =
contribution to this thread. Certainly wind energy will play a crucial =
role in providing renewable energy to Nova Scotia, and so far the =
evidence suggests that bird mortalities at wind energy facilities are =
relatively low compared to other sources of human-generated mortality. =
Nonetheless, I think birders and bird conservationists need to be more =
vigilant in evaluating the effects on birds. First, the mortality =
studies that have been conducted are limited in their ability to measure =
mortalities. Most fatalities probably occur at night and two things can =
happen to mask the extent of mortality. The first is that scavengers can =
clean up carcasses before the carcass searchers arrive in the morning. =
Second, carcass searchers are usually limited to searching the gravel =
pads at the base of the turbines. Depending on the size of the bird, the =
turbine blades can throw the birds well beyond the pads into vegetated =
or rocky areas where they can be extremely difficult to detect. Another =
concern is the lack of regional, peer-reviewed, scientific studies on =
the effects of wind energy facilities on bird and bird habitats. Not =
only is there a danger of collision but birds can be diverted from =
flyways, feeding habitats, and breeding areas in their attempt to avoid =
a turbine or turbine array. So far, studies have been piece-meal, the =
data is often confidential, and assessments are made on a case-by-case =
basis without reference to broader issues, cumulative impacts, and =
habitat fragmentation. Regional studies, including ground, acoustic, and =
radar survey techniques, are especially important in evaluating the =
impact of wind energy facilities constructed in coastal locals, and =
especially headlands. These are the areas where migrants concentrate, =
often in very large numbers and under poor weather conditions (such as =
fog and high winds), and when birds may be already stressed from a long =
flight or from being blown out to sea. Such conditions could lead to =
infrequent but catastrophic events. An example, is the case of the =
natural gas plant St. John, NB., a couple of years ago when hundreds of =
birds were killed in circling a gas flare.  So while birds may be able =
to avoid the turbines on coastal headlands under most conditions, we do =
not have the knowledge to predict under what conditions these =
catastrophic events might occur, and without on-going monitoring, we =
might not ever know that they occurred. I would suggest that the =
environmental permits for wind energy facilities require that all data =
collected be made public and that industry, government, and conservation =
groups support regional studies that can lead to a more informed and =
integrated approach to reducing the risk of wind energy production on =
birds.

John

=20