[NatureNS] Re: White-throated Sparrows

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 23:32:30 -0300
From: <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>

 Jim,

You are right, usually some do overwinter in the area.  But most sparrows were very scarce in my experience this winter (except for Song Sparrows), and numbers were down on the Christmas Bird Counts that I participated in. I had no White-throats at all on my route  for the Bedford-Sackville CBC, which includes my parents' neighbourhood.

Until yesterday,  I hadn't seen any since the Halifax-Dartmouth CBC, when I had just three in a full day of birding on foot in good habitat.

Cheers,

Patricia