[NatureNS] Walmart Osprey on nest in Bedford April 18

From: David Hughes <dghughes@bellaliant.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 23:13:26 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

There was an osprey sitting in the nest on Duke Street. A sign that spring is actually here! There was a first spring male red-winged blackbird at the intersection of Cobequid and the road into the Charles MacDonald park and an adult male by the elementary school on Rocky Lake Drive. Rocky Lake is still mostly ice covered. There were a couple common goldeneye and a few ring-necked ducks.

We had an interesting mix of birds in our back yard in Lower Sackville including a singing purple finch. At one point there were 2 pheasants and 2 black ducks feeding within a few feet of each other. They dwarfed a red squirrel that was in their midst.

We had up to 5 fox sparrows at one point over the last few weeks, but they seem to have moved on. Earlier in the week we were lucky to have a pair of cardinals. The male was observed feeding the female.

David, Lower Sackville

Sent from my iPad