[NatureNS] East Lawrencetown and area

From: Paul Evans <pauldanielevans@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 22:56:51 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

A few observations from the last 3 or 4 days:

E. Lawrencetown (in our yard) 3 Brown-headed Cowbirds, 2 Fox Sparrows, Grackles, Red-winged Blackbirds, Northern Flickers, Juncos, and numerous Robins along with the regular Song Sparrows, Gold Finches, Chickadees, Starlings, and Pheasants. Also a Turkey Vulture soaring over the 207. We had 3 American Woodcocks a few days ago.

In Three-Fathom Harbour there have been two Killdeer seen several times and 4 Wilson’s Snipe. Also two Osprey. Along Causeway Road (to Fishermen’s Reserve) there was a group of 10 Great Blue Heron, 3 Bald Eagles, and a nice view of an Otter (which was on the small side and lighter in colour than others I have seen, perhaps a year old juvenile?). Speaking of Osprey, yesterday we saw one sitting on the nest at Bluenose Drilling’s property on the 207 in Lawrencetown.

A hunting N. Harrier in Seaforth.

In Grand Desert, an Ipswich Sparrow (though Eric’s report of very Pale Savannah’s makes me wonder), 5 Lesser Yellowlegs, and an unidentified Swallow seen at a distance.

Tonight there was a nice view of a very thin-crescent Moon shortly after sunset.

Paul Evans
E. Lawrencetown