[NatureNS] Dead Loon, and deer. Good stuff too...

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 08:57:51 -0300
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001a11349cd418137b0514771bcc

Loons are also known for fierce battles between them during mating season.
Having had that dagger-like beak strike at me on many occasions, it could
also have been another loon. We've had some come in with major gashes
caused by other loons. Tis the season..

Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre
Hilden Nova Scotia
www.cwrc.net
helene.birdvet@gmail.com
902-893-0253
On Apr 23, 2015 5:38 PM, <garymurray@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Have seen lots of notable stuff lately,  but just got around to posting
> some of it due to the unusual nature of it.
>
> There was a Common Loon dead floating on it's back in the Bedford Basin
> this afternoon. It was just off of the wharf that is at the end of the
> boardwalk. What was really unusual, is that it had it's throat ripped wide
> open. A seal perhaps??
>
> Also a few days ago I found a dead deer in the woods across the road with
> it's hind end chewed up. I t was near where they have been yarding up
> during the recent nasty weather.
>
> Sadly, about a week before that whilst out snowshoeing in the same woods
> there was a deer prone on the ground and barely even looked at me while I
> went by it about 150~ ft away. The next day it was dead, with no visible
> marks or wounds, starved to death is my guess. :-(
>
> On a happier note, the Merlin's are back, ditto for 2 Y.B. Sapsuckers,
> Creepers and Robins singing, the Robins finally found the apple put out for
> them.
>
> Cheers, Hopefully I have better news next time!
>
> Gary
>
> Tucker Lake Beaverbank NS

--001a11349cd418137b0514771bcc

mating season. Having had that dagger-like beak strike at me on many occasi=
ons, it could also have been another loon. We&#39;ve had some come in with =
major gashes caused by other loons. Tis the season..</p>
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre<br>
Hilden Nova Scotia<br>
www.cwrc.net<br>
helene.birdvet@gmail.com<br=

902-893-0253</p>
garymurray@ns.sympatico.ca">garymurray@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br ty=
pe=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 =
.8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi all,<br>
Have seen lots of notable stuff lately,=C2=A0 but just got around to postin=
g some of it due to the unusual nature of it.<br>
There was a Common Loon dead floating on it&#39;s back in the Bedford Basin=
 this afternoon. It was just off of the wharf that is at the end of the boa=
rdwalk. What was really unusual, is that it had it&#39;s throat ripped wide=
 open. A seal perhaps??<br>
Also a few days ago I found a dead deer in the woods across the road with i=
t&#39;s hind end chewed up. I t was near where they have been yarding up du=
ring the recent nasty weather.<br>
Sadly, about a week before that whilst out snowshoeing in the same woods th=
ere was a deer prone on the ground and barely even looked at me while I wen=
t by it about 150~ ft away. The next day it was dead, with no visible marks=
 or wounds, starved to death is my guess. :-(<br>
On a happier note, the Merlin&#39;s are back, ditto for 2 Y.B. Sapsuckers, =
Creepers and Robins singing, the Robins finally found the apple put out for=
 them.<br>
Cheers, Hopefully I have better news next time!<br>
Gary<br>
Tucker Lake Beaverbank NS<br>

--001a11349cd418137b0514771bcc--