[NatureNS] 1st Osprey, and live Loons

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 18:21:13 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I arrived back at my place at Round Hill on Monday, April 20th.  On Tuesday evening, an Osprey circled and called above my house.  Thursday morning, while I was out doing work in the yard, an Osprey flew up over Round Hill Brooke carrying a fish.  It was going in the direction of the cemetery, so no doubt, on its way to the nest on the hydro corridor above Round Hill Cemetery (there has been a pair nesting up there for years).   Same day, I saw a very healthy looking fox outside my kitchen window.  It heard or saw me and zigzagged off, sniffing its way across the field, then loped into the woods.  Also the same day, a hawk flew over the field carrying a large rodent of some kind - not sure of the species of hawk.

Other recent sightings - on my drive here on Monday, April 20th, while coming through the Cobequid Highlands, I saw a  roadkilled male Pheasant being scavenged by two crows or ravens alongside the highway.  I saw another male Pheasant - this one alive - alongside  Old Barns Road near Truro.  Saw a Ruffed Grouse on the road near Lattie's Brook.  Saw two Northern Harriers flying along the highway about a kilometre apart on 101 just north of Bridgetown.

Bev Wigney
Round Hill, NS

Wednesday morning,