[NatureNS] Greater White-fronted Goose, Snow Goose, and other birds

From: "Judy" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 22:27:53 -0300

Thanks to Rick Whitman I was able to find the Greater White-fronted Goose
this afternoon on the east side of Canning, and was joined shortly by Liz
Doull on the same quest. We also saw the  Snow Goose standing in the stubble
field amid Canada Geese on the west side of Rte 358 just south of Canning
where we met Jim Wolford and Pat Hawes also searching for the GWFG.  I
remember noting a small but substantial skein of geese passing to the s.w.
of us at the time we were letting them know where to find the White-fronted
Goose.  Unfortunately Jim and Pat were unable to find the GWFG or any Canada
Geese at the eastern location which suggests that skein of geese may have
been the same flock leaving their feeding location.

Anyone know where the geese go when they leave these feeding grounds?

Other sightings :

Canning Aboiteau :

40 Double-crested Cormorants

  4 Green-wing Teal

Canard Pond:

1 Common Loon

2 Canada Geese sitting on land - east end of pond (possibly with nesting in
mind?)

Port Williams sewage ponds:

 m    Long-tailed Duck

mf    Common Goldeneye

24+  Ring-necked Ducks (more males than females)

 m    Gtr Scaup

2 m   Mallards

Cheers,

Judy Tufts