[NatureNS] Keji- lake ice, loon & Yellow Rumps

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 16:48:26 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I dropped off some canoers today at Merrymakedge on Keji Lake. While getting their gear together I heard a Loon calling to the NW toward's Jakes Landing. So at least one Loon has arrived and complete ice-out does seem imminent. In fact, the wide edge bordering the lake (flooded) allowed the paddlers to proceed as far as I could track them. They will eventually come out at Broad R, near Summerville Beach in a week. You can see the extent of the lake edge and flooding plus a big lead opening up in the distance (top right), a good sign:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/17072715307/

Lots and lots of singing Yellow-Rumped Warblers in the treetops. They obviously have not yet set up proper territories as there were far too many singers in a small area. I have not heard them here so far (Corkums I, Lun Co) but expect to any day.

Nancy