[NatureNS] Owl survey in Ant. Co. - nice surprise

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 12:39:27 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1147f36aa666dc0514decaea

All,

My buddy Ivan and I did my owl route in the Lakevale/Fairmont area last
night. It was cold enough that frogs weren't a problem, but not too cold to
be uncomfortable. The air was barely moving...very nice conditions for
running an owl route.

We had three Barred Owls, one of which flew right in...a first for Ivan who
has accompanied me five or six times. At one stop though, we had an owl
calling as we exited the truck. That's always nice. And for only the second
time over the 20+ surveys I've done over the years for the Nocturnal Owl
Survey, we had a Long-eared Owl. And it was the classic monosyllabic
hooting, not, like the other time, their bark. This bird was certainly
within close range (less than 200 m for sure, likely less than 100), and
was a joy to experience.

Randy
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--001a1147f36aa666dc0514decaea

te in the Lakevale/Fairmont area last night. It was cold enough that frogs =
weren&#39;t a problem, but not too cold to be uncomfortable. The air was ba=
or Ivan who has accompanied me five or six times. At one stop though, we ha=
d an owl calling as we exited the truck. That&#39;s always nice. And for on=
ly the second time over the 20+ surveys I&#39;ve done over the years for th=