[NatureNS] Birds & Beans coffee at Organic Earth Market

From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 13:38:26 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

rket - it should be there and available to purchase now.&
--f46d04426bbcee19790514df9c0e

We had some Birds and Beans Certified Bird Friendly Coffee this weekend at
the citizen science expo which was so fresh and flavourful that my wife is
now hooked also.
David Pritchard, prez of Birds and Beans, is really excited about all the
interest that is being shown out here.  He was excellent to deal with and
even paid for express shipping to get it to NS in time for our event.

Having this now available in NS is a great step; now is a great time to be
thinking about how we can be promoting this...

As a side note, I think we should be taking this opportunity to rate the
spectrum of coffees available in NS in terms of their impact on (or
benefits to) birds. Although Bird Friendly Certified is likely the most
beneficial to birds, organic and fair trade products still probably rate
much lower, in terms of impacts on birds, than do products that are not.
What would be valuable is a rating system that helps people to make the
optimal decision when given a choice between Tim Horton's, McDonalds,
Laughing Whale, JustUs!, T.A.N, Folgers and Starbucks. Knowing these
differences might also help influence demand.

Seafood folks have done a good job at doing this type of thing to help
people make wiser seafood choices - (e.g.,
http://www.seachoice.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/SC_card_2012_5panel_web.pdf).
I'd like to see one for coffee put forth by some of the strong voices in
the NS bird world...

cheers,

--
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia

--f46d04426bbcee19790514df9c0e

 this weekend at the citizen science expo which was so fresh and flavourful=
 that my wife is now hooked also.&nbsp;<div>David Pritchard, prez of Birds =
and Beans, is really excited about all the interest that is being shown out=
 here.&nbsp; He was excellent to deal with and even paid for express shippi=
ing this now available in NS is a great step; now is a great time to be thi=
ide note, I think we should be taking this opportunity to rate the spectrum=
 of coffees available in NS in terms of their impact on (or benefits to) bi=
rds. Although Bird Friendly Certified is likely the most beneficial to bird=
s, organic and fair trade products still probably rate much lower, in terms=
 of impacts on birds, than do products that are not. What would be valuable=
 is a rating system that helps people to make the optimal decision when giv=
en a choice between Tim Horton&#39;s, McDonalds, Laughing Whale, JustUs!, T=
.A.N, Folgers and Starbucks. Knowing these differences might also help infl=
t doing this type of thing to help people make wiser seafood choices - (e.g=
.,&nbsp;<a href=3D"http://www.seachoice.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/SC_c=
ard_2012_5panel_web.pdf">http://www.seachoice.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/0=
4/SC_card_2012_5panel_web.pdf</a>). I&#39;d like to see one for coffee put =
v class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Apr 29, 2015=
 at 12:32 PM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:katefsteele@gmail.co=
uote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc =
solid;padding-left:1ex"><div lang=3D"EN-CA" link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F=
72" style=3D"background-color:rgb(255,255,255);line-height:initial">       =
                                                                           =
te Pro&#39;,sans-serif;color:rgb(31,73,125);text-align:initial;background-c=
olor:rgb(255,255,255)">That is wonderful news! Thanks, Keith for your effor=
t on this and thanks to everyone who made a request. Great!</div><div style=
=3D"width:100%;font-size:initial;font-family:Calibri,&#39;Slate Pro&#39;,sa=
ns-serif;color:rgb(31,73,125);text-align:initial;background-color:rgb(255,2=
55,255)"><br></div><div style=3D"width:100%;font-size:initial;font-family:C=
alibri,&#39;Slate Pro&#39;,sans-serif;color:rgb(31,73,125);text-align:initi=
al;background-color:rgb(255,255,255)">Kate</div><div style=3D"width:100%;fo=
nt-size:initial;font-family:Calibri,&#39;Slate Pro&#39;,sans-serif;color:rg=
b(31,73,125);text-align:initial;background-color:rgb(255,255,255)"><br></di=
v>