[NatureNS] fish kill Port Williams skating pond

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 16:49:03 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_07B8_01D0842E.BACF3C50

Hi Nick & All,                            May 1, 2015
    Just a guess in hindsight but with this cold weather in Jan. before =
significant snowfall and subsequent constant cold winter leading likely =
to sluggish or no flow into the skating pond, perhaps deep ice in the =
pond before significant snowfall (i.e. zero O2 influx, and small O2 =
storage), a pond with trees nearby and outflow apparently by standpipe =
(i.e. a deep deposit of leaves in various stages of decomposition; =
significant O2 sink) and many fish (another O2 demand however small) =
perhaps anoxia could develop.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
  ----- Original Message -----=20