[NatureNS] power storage -> currently cost effective?

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 17:09:06 +0000

Hi Dave,
I too read the Musk article on CH page B2.  One guy mentioned in it had bought a battery at a heavily California-subsidized price of US$7,500 (full price $18,300), one consideration, but the article doesn't disclose the number of years said battery can be used before it starts to fail like all known battery technologies eventually do (not hold its charge, so has to be replaced for $18,000), another main consideration.  Some one said the Tesla car batteries are expected to have a mean lifetime of only 7 years.  The other consideration is how old you are, since the costs + solar are all up front: what might be a reasonable gamble at age 30 if you can find the money and plan to stay in the solar house, would make no sense at age 70 or even less.
We subscribe to the paper version of the CH and also get the electronic version beamed in for no extra charge to one of our e-mail addresses, occasionally useful when heavy snow precludes paper delivery. You just open the e-mail and use the index to navigate.  I didn't think you could log into it for free, as you seem to suggest by the comment about the missing URL.   Is it possible to read CH articles for free?
Steve